Welcome to the Department of Theatre Arts at SUNY New Paltz!
We are so pleased you are joining the Department of Theatre Arts this semester. You are the newest members of an incredible community of students, and faculty. Make sure you take the time to get to know your peers and take advantage of all the opportunities available to you. As you will quickly see, there are opportunities both in class and on production. The more you are engaged with the work, the more you will grow and develop.
Please contact Ken Goldstein at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure your major is declared. This will mean you are added to all emails this summer, and we will help facilitate your registration for classes. Meetings can be set up as soon as you have finished your Orientation Modules!
Check your New Paltz email at the top and tail of each day—this is the primary way information gets out during the semester. You will be added to the mailing list by the end of the Summer.
There will be information coming out about a number of important components of the semester. These include, but are not limited to: Auditions for the semester’s productions, student groups, peer mentors, and events that take place early in the semester.
There might also be a few opportunities available for Work Study. If you are eligible, please check in with Ken this summer.
While we are very proud of our ambitious production season each year, your coursework is of the utmost importance. You will NOT be eligible for participation if you receive lower than a C- in any theatre class—don’t let that happen! If you are struggling, make an appointment with your professor before there is an issue. We are on your side!
As a Theatre Major, do I need to do anything special now?
- Please make sure you email Ken (email@example.com) to ensure your major is declared. This will mean you are added to all emails this summer, and we will help facilitate your registration for classes. Meetings can be set up as soon as you have finished your Orientation Modules!
What classes should I take?
- As a Theatre Major you will have an advisor in the department, but this summer you will be preregistered in two or three theatre classes and should NOT take any other courses in the department in your first semester—so look for General Education Courses. Send Ken an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment to talk!
How many classes do I take as a first-year student?
- You will take 5 classes per semester typically.
How many classes do I take as a transfer student?
- You will take 5 classes per semester; however, not all of them will be theatre classes. You should consider what you want to minor in (a requirement for the department).
How do I know which classes to take?
- You have a lot of flexibility! The best thing to do is look for an email where you can schedule an advising appointment with Ken to discuss the options. If you are unable to do so, suggestions can be made through email.
What now? (***YOU MUST SIGN UP FOR ORIENTATION IN ORDER TO REGISTER***)
- The first thing to do is email Ken to make sure your major is declared, and sign up for an advising appointment once you get the invitation.
On behalf of the Faculty, we wish you the very best in the upcoming semester. Please, stay healthy—take care of yourselves—get involved, work hard, and enjoy!
Connect with us on social media: