The State University of New York at New Paltz University Police Department is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and secure environment that is conducive to the educational mission of the college.
Despite the rift that has grown between the police force and the public, as seen in the media, SUNY New Paltz’s University Police Department (UPD) has developed a way to build a bridge between citizen and law enforcement: the Campus Observation Police (COP) reward program.
The University Police Department provides service by adhering to the following principles:
- Respect – Every individual will be treated with respect.
- Education – Every interaction is an educational opportunity.
- Diversity – Recognize and appreciate the values each individual brings to the campus.
- Commitment – To the mission of the college. Strive for personal and professional excellence.
- Participation – Be an integral part of and participate in the life of the college.
- Integrity – Do the right thing for the right reason when nobody is watching.
Vision and Goals
- Provide protection of persons and property through crime and loss prevention initiatives.
- Achieve voluntary compliance with rules, regulations, ordinances, and laws through equal application of enforcement.
- Establish a cohesive and supportive work environment – one that encourages innovation with an emphasis on the quality of service.
- Promote campus-wide awareness of safety issues.
- Continue to develop a University Police Department that is a forerunner in the field, widely respected and trusted.
For emergencies on campus, dial x911
UPD Anonymous Tip Line 845-257-2230
Contact the department:
University Police Department
SUNY New Paltz
David Dugatkin, Chief of Police
1 Hawk Drive, Service Building #100
New Paltz, NY 12561-2443
Office: Service Building 100
Phone: (845) 257-2222
TTY: (845) 257-3369
Fax: (845) 257-3334
Department email: firstname.lastname@example.org