The College is fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and is approved as a degree-granting institution by the Trustees of the State University of New York and the Regents of New York State.
Academic programs with national accreditation or certification include:
- School of Business programs - Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
- Teacher certification programs - New York State Education Department and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Music programs - National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)
- Art programs - National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)
- Theatre programs - National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST)
- Chemistry program - certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering programs - Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- Communication Disorders (Master of Science program in speech-language pathology) - Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association (ASHA)
- The Tutoring & Writing Center, part of the Center for Student Resources & Academic Support - certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA)
State University of New York at New Paltz is a member of the American Council on Education, the Association of American Colleges, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, the Association of Colleges and Universities of the State of New York, the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, and the Associated Colleges of the Mid-Hudson area.