The Division of Military and Naval Affairs offers a recruitment incentive and retention program that can pay for the cost of tuition for qualifying members, up to the maximum resident tuition rate (currently $3,085 per semester). Books, fees, room and board are the responsibility of the member. To qualify, a member must:
- Be an active member in good standing of the New York Army or Air National Guard, or Naval Militia, and not be flagged for unfavorable personnel actions,
- Be a graduate of initial active duty for training or a commissioning source,
- Be accepted, enrolled, and matriculated at a New York college on a full or part time basis, taking at least 6 credit hours during the semester,
- Be a resident of New York State for at least 186 days prior to applying,
- Maintain good academic standing and good military standards, and
- Have an ETS date beyond the semester in which application is made.
The benefit is applicable for the first bachelor's degree only. To be eligible, students must also apply for Federal and State financial aid. The amount of the tuition waiver benefit is reduced by the amount of TAP and VTAP grants offered to the student.
Applications must be submitted to a student's unit commander or designee. Please contact your unit commander for more important information regarding DMNA tuition waivers.