University Police Department
- The University Police Department has a strong presence on social media that includes; Facebook (SUNY New Paltz University Police), Twitter (@NewPaltzUPD) and Instagram (updNewPaltz) in an effort to communicate directly and often with the faculty, staff and students that we serve.
- The University Police Department (UPD) created a promotional video (written, produced, and directed by students) that explains the department's philosophy on community policing and its involvement on the campus.
- The department received accreditation in 2018 with the state Division of Criminal Justice Services, a progressive way of helping police agencies evaluate and improve performance.
- The University Police Department (UPD) created a training video (written, produced, and performed by students) that presents active shooter survival tactics. Additionally, a video titled “Campus Safety 101” was created to educate the campus community in personal safety.
- The department routinely holds active shooter trainings with Town of New Paltz Police, the New Paltz Rescue Squad, and Ulster County Emergency Services.
- The department is working toward accreditation with the state Division of Criminal Justice Services, a progressive way of helping police agencies evaluate and improve performance.
- Working in collaboration with Environmental Health & Safety, UPD created a Campus Safety Day to educate the campus on safety resources, and a campus Community Emergency Response Team to provide training in basic disaster response skills to community volunteers.
- The department launched a campuswide smart phone app which allows students, faculty, and staff to keep in touch with UPD via smart phones. The app uses GPS and sends and receives text messages and photos to locate individuals in distress.