- The New Paltz Geology Department offers state-of-the art facilities, as well as a stunning natural setting that doubles as an outdoor classroom, providing one-of-a-kind opportunities for undergraduate education and research. The department stands out amongst other geology programs by having hands-on, field-based learning experiences as a part of nearly every class offered.
- The major offers tracks in general geology, environmental geoscience, environmental science, as well as concentrations in elementary and secondary education in earth science.
- The Department has a strong track record of securing funding to support undergraduate research. This funding supports students during the school year and over the summer to participate in research conducted by professors in the department. Such projects have gone on to be published in high-profile journals with students as co-authors.
- The program offers students opportunities to travel throughout the country to present their research at professional conferences. Many have garnered national awards for their research projects.
- Each year the Department runs an extended field excursion for 25-30 students to examine the geology of the western U.S. These trips expose students to textbook cases of geologic processes in the field and many students report these trips as being formative experiences in their careers.
- The prospect of diverse, interesting, and challenging career opportunities is one of the strongest reasons to consider majoring in geology. As salaries and demand for geologists continue to climb, the geology major provides excellent employment potential in industry, teaching, research, and government.
- Alumni of the geology program go on to attend prestigious graduate schools, teach in colleges and school districts, as well as working for government agencies and high-level environmental consulting firms.