Psychological Counseling Center
- Psychological and Counseling Center Director Dr. Gwyneth Lloyd is a member of the Association of American University College Counseling Directors (AUCCCD). The center is part of the New York Counselor State Directors group.
- The center features a seamless process of service, including comprehensive care agreements with local hospitals. Student-clients are followed throughout their stay, during discharge, and on return to campus.
- The center receives about 20 to 35 calls per year from caring and concerned faculty, who are coached on recognizing the warning signs of troubled students. Faculty members constantly report that the center was very helpful.
- It is important to the department to model best practices for suicide prevention. All staff members, as well as more than 100 resident assistants, have been trained in suicide and homicide prevention, with specialized training in Question, Persuade, and Refer (QPR) tactics. The goal is to have every campus member trained in these techniques.
- The center is a well-known training site for social work interns and students pursuing careers in mental health and counseling, who are provided solid, quality clinical training.