SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Development - Foundation
Budget Title: Staff Assistant
Local Title: Foundation Accountant
Posting Date: August 11, 2023
Duties: SUNY New Paltz, the leading comprehensive public university in the Mid-Hudson Valley, seeks
candidates for the position of Foundation Accountant in the Office of Development & Alumni Relations. The Foundation Accountant is responsible for performing the Accounts Payable, Purchasing, reporting operations of the SUNY New Paltz Foundation, Inc. in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles. Duties for the position include but are not limited to:
• Responsible for issuing checks as scheduled, in compliance with Foundation policies
• Properly classify and record all disbursements for each check distribution period in the accounting software program and maintain proper documentation
• Process purchase orders and prepare for CFO’s signature. Maintain purchase order files and track open PO’s
• Process and maintain records for purchase orders as well as in-kind expenses and direct payments from our State budget accounts and reconciliation to the general ledger
• Reconcile the Accounts Payable and Purchase Order (encumbrances) ledgers monthly
• Maintain account manager forms via binders, scans, financial edge, etc
Customer Service Responsibilities
• Provide reports and/or disbursement information to department staff and campus account holders as instructed
• Ensure a timely response to all requests for financial information from on and off campus constituents, including general ledger reports and account balances. This includes monthly and quarterly reports to departments
• Issue 1099-Misc forms to non-employees and file form 1096 with the IRS annually. File form 1042 and 1042-S as required
• Assist the Foundation’s CFO in preparation of the annual unrestricted budget and updating the GL software
• Assist with the Foundation’s annual audit and IRS Form 990 to prepare spreadsheets, allocations, footnotes, and journal entries
• Provide support to the Chief Financial Officer for the Foundation for yearly processes and / or reconciliations
• Track prepaid expenses and perform the year-end entry to record the asset in the GL
• Provide general maintenance for the accounts payable module in the accounting program, such as adding and updating vendors, as well as maintaining the account files
• Responsible for maintaining an up-to-date working knowledge of all accounting principles as well as the financial aspects of all software programs being used by the Foundation
• Provide general maintenance for the account payable module in the accounting program, such as adding and updating vendor information
• Maintain the Foundation’s equipment inventory database, track all donated or purchased equipment that meets the University’s capitalization threshold, perform periodic physical inventories, prepare, and perform journal entries to record depreciation and transfer of assets to the University
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
• Knowledge of accounts payable basics and applications
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Detail oriented
• The candidate must be able to work collaboratively and independently
• Knowledgeable in Microsoft excel and word
• Ability to effectively manage multiple and competing priorities
Contact Information: Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to electronically submit:
• cover letter
• contact information for three professional references
Please apply by visiting https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/2079
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received before August 31st.
Deadline: Applications accepted until the position is filled. Priority given to those received before 8/31/23
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country. The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
SUNY New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members--students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (Clery Report) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/police/clery-compliance/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/2079