SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Disability Resource Center
Budget Title: Staff Assistant
Local Title: Learning Support Specialist
Posting Date: May 26, 2023
Duties: • Conduct intake meetings with eligible students and review submitted documentation to assure application for services is complete.
• Review the identified barriers to education with students and determine their individual needs for support.
• Provide a variety of individual and group supports for students with disabilities, including time management, organization, executive functions, note taking, communication, goal setting.
• Refer students to academic support services and other available campus resources.
• Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Learning Support and Neurodiversity Initiatives, assist in providing learning supports as well as creative programming.
• Field parent and family questions about services, including participation in outreach events (open houses and orientations)
• Ensure compliance with university policies, procedures and applicable rules and regulations.
• Strong abilities in time management, program development, event organization.
• Ability to develop strong relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
• Ability to work independently while joining a dynamic team of disability professionals.
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Instructional Technology, Rehabilitation Counseling, Student Development, Counseling or a field related to disabilities and higher education;
• A minimum of one year of experience working with students in a high school or college setting, teaching and mentoring with a focus on skill building and independence;
• Experience developing workshops.
• Demonstrable skills communicating and working with a diverse population of students with disabilities in individual and group settings.
• Computer and other technology skills, particularly with software and applications that assist individuals with disabilities as well as with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
• Knowledge of ADA, Section 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
• Master’s Degree in a related field
Contact Information: • Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
• Electronic submission required. Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and names and contact information for 3 professional references. Please apply by visiting https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1991
• Applications accepted until position is filled.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country. The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
SUNY New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members—students, faculty and staff. The College’s commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (Clery Report) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/firesafety/safetyreport.html.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1991