SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Career Resource Center
Budget Title: Senior Career Planning and Development Associate
Local Title: Sr. Career Specialist for Liberal Arts and Sciences
Posting Date: August 25, 2022
Duties: The Career Specialist will be required to work effectively with students and alumni from diverse communities and cultures to address a broad range of career related needs. This includes, but is not limited to, coaching/advising students on career exploration and planning, resume and cover letter development, job/internship search, networking with employers and alumni, interview preparation, and the graduate school application process. While this person will need to assist students from all majors, their primary focus will be working with students and alumni from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. This is a 10-month position.
- Promote and teach students how to identify and secure internships; advise students about the process for receiving credit as needed
- Collaborate with faculty (academic and professional) to develop career-related programs and employment opportunities
- Establish alumni contacts and involve them in employer relations functions and career activities/programs
- Provide individual advising and workshops to students from all majors on career-related issues by appointment, during drop-in hours, by email, and using online platforms (e.g., WebEx, Big Interview, Etc.)
- Plan and present career-related programs (e.g., alumni panels, Camp Day)
- Assist with Career Resource Center programs (e.g., career fairs and networking events), and represent the Career Resource Center at University-wide events (e.g., Admission’s open houses) – Participate in Student Affairs and University-wide committees and task forces
- Potential for supervising graduate and/or undergraduate interns
- Remain current with market/employment trends and career field research as related to Liberal Arts and Science majors
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred in Social Sciences, Higher Education, Student Personnel, Counseling, or related field
• The ability to promote and work in an inclusive and diverse environment
• Willingness to occasionally work outside of core business hours (e.g., evenings and weekends)
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and Google Docs
• Familiarity with and demonstrated ability to interface with database systems, survey software (e.g., Qualtrics, Wufoo), and live streaming platforms (e.g., WebEx, Zoom, Google Meet)
• Two or more years of progressively responsible experience in career services or higher education setting that involves working directly with students and/or adults preferred
• Familiarity with career and student development theory and strategies • Experience with coordinating events and services
• Familiarity with career-related software and data management programs such as Handshake, Big Interview, and CareerShift
• Familiarity with social media, live-streaming, and video capture platforms
• Familiarity with career assessments such as Strong Interest Inventory, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, StrengthsQuest, and O*Net resources
• Familiar with constructing and assessing student learning outcomes
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Please apply by visiting https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1749
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675. Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country. The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
SUNY New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members—students, faculty and staff. The College’s commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (Clery Report) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/firesafety/safetyreport.html.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1749