SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Alumni Relations
Budget Title: Assistant Director of Alumni Affairs
Local Title: Assistant Director of Alumni Relations
Posting Date: August 18, 2022
Duties: SUNY New Paltz invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Alumni Relations. This position reports directly to the Director of Alumni Relations, a senior member of the Development and Alumni Relations Department. We are seeking an experienced, dynamic, and creative professional who will develop and implement a calendar of events and programs to engage our 72,000 alumni and other key constituencies including students, and their parents to build affinity and support for the College.
The Assistant Director of Alumni Relations is charged with developing, coordinating, and executing alumni engagement and student engagement events on campus and across multiple regions throughout the country. This position requires working closely with Development Office colleagues and colleagues from various programs and departments throughout the campus, including but not limited to the Career Resource Center, Athletics, Educational Opportunity Program, Office of Communication and Marketing, and Scholars Mentorship Program. The successful candidate must develop and maintain relationships with our college Deans and faculty members at each school to create and maintain pathways for increased alumni participation.
This position requires high professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information, including personal alumni information, institutional budget, and financial information.
This position also requires travel and attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, events, programs, and seminars.
• Develop and implement a robust and diverse calendar of in-person, alumni engagement events in the New York City and Hudson Valley areas, across the country in key locations, and online events that meet the strategic goal of the Alumni Relations Office and create a wide array of alumni interactions.
• Plan and coordinate all logistics for alumni events and programs with building management, catering, facilities operations, and grounds, the respective campus departments, faculty and staff, and outside vendors.
• Coordinate and execute select events that educate and begin to develop “future alumni”- our current students, that provide opportunities for alumni mentoring, interactions between students and alumni, and foster the Orange & Blue spirit.
• Work closely with the Director, the Alumni Engagement Officer, and the Office of Communications and Marketing to create marketing materials and electronic postings for all events and programs.
• Work with the Director in planning, executing, and overseeing all signature events, which include our 40 Under Forty Awards Ceremony, 100 Days to Commencement, and Generations Pinning Ceremony.
• Participate in departmental activities such as Convocation, Commencement, and fundraising and donor cultivation events as requested.
• Manage and execute all Alumni Relations activities during Reunion Weekend, which include the Alumni Luncheon, Heritage and Alumni Awards Ceremony, and the 50th Anniversary Celebration.
• Supervise and organize volunteers, colleagues, and others who assist throughout Reunion Weekend and other events and programs.
Management & Budgeting
• Create and submit to the Director, budgets for all events and programs, and ensure all necessary purchases are made for the implementation of each activity. Track actual vs. budgeted costs for each event and program.
• Work with the Director to implement the strategic plan for marketing and communicating with alumni.
• Oversee the hiring, training, and managing of student staff members.
• Work closely with the Alumni Engagement Officer and Alumni Office Assistant.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Alumni Relations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in communication, business administration, marketing, public relations, nonprofit management, or a closely related field. Master’s degree is a plus.
• Minimum of two years of college or university experience working in alumni relations, development, or special events. Relevant experience in a related field that involves strong constituency relations will be considered.
• Experience in strategizing, implementing, and building constituency programs and events.
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills are required. Public speaking experience is a plus.
• Ability to work with a team or individually to achieve established goals.
• Experience in motivating and managing staff, volunteers, and student workers.
• Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, which includes evenings and weekends, when needed.
• Ability to establish strong and professional working relationships with department chairs, program administrators, and affinity group leaders.
• Working knowledge of the various Microsoft 365 products and experience with utilizing database platforms such as Raiser’s Edge NXT.
• Strong organizational and project planning skills, attention to detail, and the ability to effectively manage multiple and competing deadlines.
• Ability to travel, valid driver’s license.
Contact Information: Applicants will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for three professional references and two writing samples. Files should not exceed 9MB.
Please apply by visiting https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1741
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call 845-257-3675.
Deadline: Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity, or protected veteran status. We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus. The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1741