SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Budget Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Local Title: Payroll Manager
Posting Date: February 8, 2018
Duties: The State University of New York at New Paltz invites applications for the position of Payroll Manager. The Office of Payroll processes the College's administrative, student assistants and work study payrolls in accordance with SUNY's and the Office of the State Comptrollers' rules and regulations. The Payroll Office works closely with the College's Office of Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion in coordinating payroll transactions and job related information.
The Office of Payroll is responsible for:
• Processing the faculty/staff, student, and work-study payrolls through the SUNY HR/PAYSR online system;
• Auditing all classified service timesheets and verifying all overtime and holiday pay;
• Administering personnel transaction authorizations provided by Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion;
• Maintaining the Time and Attendance (TAS) online module;
• Administering all tax withholding and other payroll deductions;
• Verifying student I-9 eligibility and maintaining permanent student I-9 files
Duties of the Payroll Manager include:
• Management of five CSEA staff members;
• Ensure all internal and external payroll deadlines are met within the office;
• Work with SUNY System Administration and Office of State Comptroller’s (OSC) Payroll office to ensure all payroll transactions are in accordance with OSC, NYS Department of Budget (DOB), Governor’s Office of Employee Relations (GOER) and SUNY rules, laws, and regulations;
• Oversee the audit, reconciliation, and resolution of discrepancies of transactions;
• Receive and respond to written and oral communications from outside agencies including SUNY System Administration, OSC, NYS Department of Budget, GOER, NYS Civil Service, and other agencies as required;
• Conduct regular audits of payroll transactions including but not limited to shift and inconvenience pay, longevity payments, performance advances, discretionary salary increases, extra service limitations, etc. to ensure employees are receiving all payments they are entitled to receive in accordance with the Dept. of Civil Service, special salary and Office of the State Comptroller rules and regulations and labor agreements as appropriate;
• Calculate, coordinate, and communicate back salary awards, settlements and penalties and ensure garnishments requests are directed to OSC in accordance with court orders, grievances, disciplinary proceedings, and arbitration decisions;
• Use the Time & Attendance Accrual tracking/system to identify and report problematic or abuse of time or low accruals to Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion;
• Calculate and issue corrected W-2 Wage Statements as necessary to report adjusted earnings and taxes for employees;
• Communicate any payroll related information to the campus community;
• Communicate with and support supervisors regarding late or un-submitted time records;
• Work closely with Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion to ensure employee transactions are completed correctly and in a timely manner;
• Manage payroll office budget
• Bachelor's Degree with at least three to five years of related professional experience or Associates Degree with 5-7 years of experience;
• At least two years of supervisory experience;
• Experience understanding applications of regulations, laws and/or labor agreements;
• Experience with relational databases, report writing and data analysis;
• Proficiency in Excel (e.g. v-lookups);
• Strong written and verbal communication, negotiation, conflict resolution and team building skills;
• Professionalism, tact and strong customer service skills;
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and competing deadlines
• Knowledge of SUNY HR system;
• Payroll experience within SUNY or another NYS agency
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references. Please apply by visiting https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/784
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity or protected veteran status. We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.