An array of useful resources and the ticketing system are available in the New Paltz Knowledge Base.
What are the new Certification Requirements?
Foundational Certification (required to teach online, lasts 3 years)
- Training content (Core DLE/Core Pedagogy, and Core Accessibility) available on demand in D2L Brightspace and remains available for on-going access as needed
- Review content (Core DLE/Core Pedagogy, and Core Accessibility) at your own pace
- Score 80% or better on all 3 content area checkpoints (faculty who have already completed Core DLE/Core Pedagogy do not need to retest those two content areas)
Full Certification (must be achieved within 3 years of attaining Foundational Certification, lasts 4 years)
- Training content (Core Modalities, Advanced Skills) available in D2L Brightspace upon successful Foundational Certification and remains available for on-going access as needed
- Review content at your own pace
- When you feel ready, sign up for one of 4 annual OSCQR course reviews
Recertification (must be achieved every 4 years once you have achieved Full Certification)
- Recertification content (Tools and Best Practices Update) and skills review quiz available to all certified faculty in D2L Brightspace
- When you need recertification, score 80% or better or the content/skills checkpoints and sign up for one of 4 annual OSCQR course reviews.
Where can I find the new training and certification?
- The training and certification are in Brightspace. Look for your course “NEW Faculty and Staff Foundational Certification Training”.
Why did we launch the new training?
- New SUNY-wide Brightspace platform means everyone must learn new platform.
- Legal requirement to make online content accessible.
- More faculty need flexible, on-demand and automated training.
Why use quiz scores as the measure for Foundational Certification?
- To give experienced online educators the opportunity to “test out” of familiar content and to remove wait-times and allow for automated Foundational Certification
Do Faculty who completed Core DLE and/or Core Pedagogy in 2022 have to re-do the training?
- No, but they do still need to complete the new Core Accessibility training (Module 3 in the Foundational Training in Brightspace)
How much time should it take to do the training and certification?
- OIT estimates 2 hours for each module if viewed in their entirety (6 total hours), although experienced online faculty are unlikely to need much time in Modules 2/3
- Even highly skilled educators with online experience should expect 2 hours with Module 1 unless they have prior Brightspace experience.
Who should I reach out to if I have questions?