What is a "Major" Revision?
- Changing more than 30% of the curriculum
- Changing the program's focus or design
- Adding/eliminating disciplinary tracks
- Eliminating a requirement for program completion(e.g., culminating assessment like internship, clinical placement, etc.).
- Changing the program's mode of delivery by offering more than 50% of the program via distance
- Changing the name of a program
Talk to Your Academic Dean
Any major program revision requires the support and input of the Academic Dean(s). Your very first step in revising an existing program is to visit with your Academic Dean(s).
Schedule a Meeting with APLI
Once you have the support of your Academic Dean(s), schedule a meeting with Academic Planning & Learning Innovation (APLI). They can confirm for you whether the revision is a Major Revision or a Minor Revision, and they will point you to the correct paperwork, pre-filling some content as possible.
- If your program revision is Graduate-level, book a GR Curriculum Meeting with Vika Shock and Shala Mills.
- If your program revision is Undergraduate-level, contact Val McAllister at firstname.lastname@example.org or Shala Mills at email@example.com.
EMSI/Lightcast Report and Pre-proposal Approval Document
An EMSI/Lightcase Report and Pre-proposal Approval Document probably are not necessary, but depending on the nature of a Major Program revision, it might be advisable to include this step. APLI will help you make that determination.
- HEGIS and Program Codes: New Paltz Campus Code: 233500
- CIP Codes
- Master Plan Amendments (See page 15 of SUNY's Guide to Academic Program Planning. MPAs are only needed where the proposal is for an altogether new degree, a new degree level for the institution, a new degree level for one of the 10 Hegis code areas, or a branch campus).
- New York State Education Department Inventory of Registered Programs
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education, SUNY College at New Paltz
- New York State Education Department Program Registration Guidance Documents
- New York State Licensed Professions
Program Revision Paperwork
APLI will assist you in developing the revision proposal and navigating the approval processes. Follow the guidance for either Graduate or Undergraduate Program Proposals as appropriate. Either way, the phases for Major Programs revisions include: