Talk to Your Academic Dean
All new academic program proposals must have the support and input of the Academic Dean(s). Your very first step in starting a new program is to visit with your Academic Dean.
Schedule a Meeting with APLI
Once you have the support of your Academic Dean, your next step is to contact Academic Planning & Learning Innovation (APLI). If your proposal is Graduate-level, you may start by contacting Vika Shock at email@example.com or Shala Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your proposal is Undergraduate-level, you may start by contacting Val McAllister at email@example.com or Shala Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMSI Report and Cabinet Briefing Document
APLI will explain the program proposal process to you and help you complete an EMSI Report Request. EMSI is a SUNY vendor used to gather information about competitor programs and labor market demand. APLI will submit your EMSI Report Request to SUNY on your behalf. Once you have received the EMSI report, APLI will help you identify salient information from that report and then help you prepare a Pre-proposal Approval Document. (See Sample Pre-proposal Approval Document). APLI will submit the Pre-proposal Approval Document to the Provost and the Provost will determine whether it is ready to go to Cabinet for consideration.
- HEGIS and Program Codes: New Paltz Campus Code: 233500
- CIP Codes
- Master Plan Amendments (See page 15 of SUNY's Guide to Academic Program Planning. MPAs are only needed where the proposal is for an altogether new degree, a new degree level for the institution, a new degree level for one of the 10 Hegis code areas, or a branch campus).
- New York State Education Department Inventory of Registered Programs
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education, SUNY College at New Paltz
- New York State Education Department Program Registration Guidance Documents
- New York State Licensed Professions
Program Proposal Paperwork
Once you have cabinet support for the program idea, then you can begin work on the program proposal. APLI will assist you in developing the proposal and navigating the approval processes. Follow the guidance for either Graduate or Undergraduate Program Proposals as appropriate. Either way, the phases include: