SUNY New Paltz formed the Sustainability Committee in 2010 to assist with the coordination and fulfillment of the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment by helping to develop and implement an action plan for the College to become climate neutral. The Sustainability Committee completed its plan and President Christian signed and submitted the Campus Sustainability Plan to the ACUPCC in December of 2012. Former SUNY New Paltz President Steven Poskanzer signed the Presidents’ Climate Commitment in 2008.
The Sustainability Committee is comprised of students, faculty, staff, and administrators from across the campus. During the 2014-15 Academic Year, members of the Sustainability Committee include:
- Lisa Mitten, Co-Chair of the Sustainability Committee, Campus Sustainability Coordinator
- Rosemary Millham, Co-Chair of the Sustainability Committee, School of Education
- David Richardson, Science and Engineering
- Daniel Lipson, Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Andrea Frank, Fine and Performing Arts
- Michael Sheridan, School of Business
- Megan Coder, Library
- Brendan O’Brien, Professional Faculty
- Lisa Jones, Budget Plans and Goals Representative
- Two student representatives, Residence Hall Students Association
- Two student representatives, Student Association
- Mike Malloy, Environmental Health and Safety
- John Shupe, Facilities Management
- Michelle Halstead, Office of the VP for Administration and Finance
- David Rooney, Office of the VP for Student Affairs
During the 2014-15 academic year, the sustainability committee is focusing on completing a sustainability self-assessment using the STARS framework developed by the Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
The Sustainability Committee falls within Faculty Governance and is a subcommittee of the Budget, Plans, and Goals Committee.