Edit Page

Financial Aid

Continuing Undergrads Checklist

File the FAFSA online at fafsa.ed.gov.

 New York State (NYS) residents should complete the TAP Grant and the New York State Excelsior Scholarship applications at hesc.ny.gov. NYS residents should apply for the TAP grant using school code 0925 at hesc.ny.gov.

If you were selected for verification please visit my.newpaltz for information on your application status and your documentation requirements to complete the verification process.  Required verification documents will also be e-mailed to you.

Official award notices get sent via email after the NYS budget is passed in early May. We send notices to your New Paltz email, FAFSA email and personal email addresses.

Login to my.newpaltz to accept/decline your aid package. Follow the instructions from the email.

→If you accept a Direct Student Loan then you must complete the following before school starts (note- if you've already completed this last year at New Paltz then you don't need to do it again). Login to studentloans.gov with your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID/password and then-

  1. Complete Entrance Counseling for State University College - New Paltz
  2. Complete a Master Promissory Note for subsidized/unsubsidized loan

 →If you accept a Direct Parent PLUS Loan the parent must complete a separate credit check application as soon as possible after June 1st.  We recommend you read our PLUS page for more details.  This must be done every year they want to borrow the loan. To apply, the parent borrower must login to studentloans.gov with their FSA ID/password and then-

  1. Click and complete Request a Direct PLUS Loan after June 1st (select 'State University College - New Paltz' from the list of schools)
  2. If approved, the parent will be asked to complete a Master Promissory Note for a Parent PLUS loan (note- you will not need a new note if the same parent borrower had a disbursed PLUS loan last year)

After you've registered for classes Student Accounts will email you a notification that your invoice (bill) is available. Any aid you accepted will show as a deferral on your invoice.

If you need summer loans (6 credits or more to be eligible) make sure to submit our summer aid application after you've registered for those classes.

If you will not be full-time then you must submit a part-time enrollment form to the Financial Aid Office. Part-time students’ aid will not show up as a deferral on the invoice unless you submit this form!

Login to my.newpaltz and accept the charges on your invoice per the email from Student Accounts. You are responsible to pay any balance due by the due date on your individual invoice.

If a student's finalized financial aid exceeds their charges, Student Accounts will issue a refund for the amount of the overpayment. Refunds get issued right after the award disburses per the following schedule:

→Direct student and parent loan monies will disburse starting the second week of the semester.

→Pell grants are disbursed around the third week of the semester.

→NYS TAP grants are typically disbursed after the mid-point of the semester.

Login to my.newpaltz.edu to set up Direct Deposit (Payment Profile)