SUNY Smart Track- your #1 resource for college affordability!
SUNY Smart Track is an online learning environment that empowers students and their families for a lifetime of success. With an emphasis on financial literacy education and default prevention services, Smart Track is designed for you to help every step of the way- from the moment you apply to New Paltz and continuing beyond graduation. Create a login today: SMART TRACK
After graduation you'll want to make timely payments on your student loans because your credit score can affect you in more ways than you realize! Visit the Federal Reserve's website to see who may look at your credit score and what impact this can have on you: Visit Credit Reports and Credit Scores for more info.
Before you apply for financial aid, learn how to spot potential fraud and prevent identity theft. Visit Federal Student Aid for more info.
Additionally, avoid paying for free financial aid services by reading NASFAA's fact sheet regarding consultants: Financial Aid Consultants and Scholarship Search Service
If you have any questions about your federal loans do not hesitate to contact your servicer. They have been contracted by the Department of Education to help you! You can ask them questions about repayment, the varying payment plans, interest, etc. Also, if you are having a hard time making your payments after graduation you'll want to contact them to discuss it. There may be options for you so that you can avoid ruining your credit with late or skipped loan payments!
Do you know who your loan servicers are? If not, then follow these simple instructions to find out!
1. Go to www.nslds.ed.gov
2. Select "Financial Aid Review."
3. Read the privacy statement. You must accept these terms to use NSLDS.
4. Have your PIN available. Don't know your federal PIN number? Visit www.pin.ed.gov and 'Request a Duplicate PIN' to have it displayed on the screen for you.
5. Login with your SSN, DOB, PIN etc..
6. Each of your federal loans will display as a blue number. Click that blue number to view the loan details and scroll to the bottom to find your Current ED Servicer for that loan. If your loans were taken out recently, they should all be with the same servicer. But you'll want to double check each loan to make sure.
7. Now that you know who your servicer is you should create a login on their website so you can track your loans.