Travelers should use the most efficient and cost effective method of transportation available. Often times this means using a common carrier such as a train, bus, taxicab or airplane. When choosing a method of transportation several factors should be considered like; the distance traveled, the travel time, number of travelers, number of locations to be visited, and type of transportation available.
When a common carrier is available but a more expensive method is chosen without sufficient justification, reimbursement may be limited to the common carrier rate. Attach all original receipts to voucher to show means of transportation and amount paid.
If a trip is cancelled at the direction of the agency, the traveler will not be responsible for any costs incurred. If cancelled for the traveler’s convenience, he/she may be responsible for any costs.
Vehicle Rental Procedures
Renting a vehicle is preferred (over using your personal vehicle) when the trip is of sufficient length and duration, and the most economical means of transportation. Use the trip calculator to determine the most economical means of transportation, rental car or personal car. SUNY New Paltz can utilize the Office of General Services (OGS) contract for Passenger Vehicle Rentals for university business use.
- SUNY New Paltz works locally with Enterprise. Contact them to arrange for a vehicle with as much advance notice as possible. Here is a list of the local branches:
- Poughkeepsie is the primary branch to call 845-485-2222.
- Beacon, 409 Fishkill Ave. 845-838-9332
- Kingston, Ulster Ave. 845-336-4700
- Kingston, Route 28 845-338-6006
- Newburgh, 63 Route 17K 845-562-3311
- New Windsor, 2367 Route 32 845-561-3760
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car hours:
- Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 6:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am to 12:00pm.
- delivery of cars to SUNY New Paltz is between 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday
- for weekend trips the car will be delivered late Friday afternoon or can be picked up from their office during Saturday hours.
- When you call for a vehicle provide the following information: SUNY New Paltz and department name, the SUNY New Paltz billing # (848095), the SUNY New Paltz account/contract # (JN0196), name of driver of vehicle, date and time of actual travel, fax a copy of your valid driver’s license (only required one time) and if it is a drop off to SUNY New Paltz or a pick up at their location. (Drop off location is in route 32 lot.) It is recommended to advise Enterprise that payment will be on the NYS travel card. (make note of this on the travel requisition)
- up to three drivers may be listed on the rental agreement at no additional charge.
- register for the members’ benefit program on line to submit the above information one time and then you will be provided with a member number for future rental use.
- The OGS rental contract (JN0196) provides us with discounted rates, unlimited mileage, (when pick up and drop off is at same location) and delivery service (from Poughkeepsie).
- vehicle categories: compact, standard, and full-size sedans, passenger vans, and SUV’s
- smoking is not allowed in any vehicle or a charge back for cleaning could be applied
- driver shall be responsible for all fines, penalties and court costs for parking, traffic, toll and other violations
- The damage waiver protection (CDW) and liability insurance are included in the rental fee under OGS contract (JN0196).
- When renting from Enterprise place the reservation number on the travel requisition and the location of the rental agency used.
- Then complete and forward the Travel Requisition to Purchasing prior to taking the trip so payment can be made on the travel card, this insures additional insurance coverage.
- Indicate on the travel requisition all other travel expenses, including gas and toll reimbursement estimate.
- At time of rental pick-up:
- inspect the vehicle for exterior and interior damage and make note of it on the form and notify agency of damage, sign/initial rental agreement as requested.
- note the amount of gas at the time of pickup so you can refill it with the same amount of gas prior to your returning the car. (Get a receipt and then submit the expense on your travel voucher to be reimbursed) If the gas is not replaced to an equal amount the rental company will charge us back at a much higher rate per gallon.
- When flying out of state and a rental is required at another destination:
- use the OGS contract booking program for discounts through the NYS contract when reserving.
- price compare both contracted and discounted rates on this site. Hertz and National also have contracts with OGS. If pricing is less for a comparable vehicle you may use another rental agent.
- always get the damage waiver insurance on all rentals out of state, if not using the OGS state contract vendors or the NYS travel card.
- NYS does not reimburse employees if they choose to get any liability insurance coverage.
- If you picked up the car on campus, when you return from your trip park the rental in the designated rental company parking spot and place the keys in their drop box.
- Contact rental office or go on line (if on the member benefit program) for a paid receipt. Verify that there is no tax or insurance charged, and then forward the rental receipt to Purchasing, HAB 307.
- In the case of a rental cancellation, notify the rental company as soon as you know so there is not a rental fee charged. Then notify Purchasing so your travel requisition can be modified to reflect the funding change.
- In case of an automobile accident, notify the rental company first and then Purchasing ASAP, but no longer than 20 days from the date of accident. (If paid on a travel card it needs to be reported to Citibank within 45 days.)
Personal Vehicle Use Procedures
- A personal vehicle may be used when a rental or common carrier is not available, is cost effective, or is otherwise appropriate for a justifiable reason.
- When you extend your trip for personal reasons there cannot be any additional cost to the state for a personal convenience.
- The starting point of your trip should be from New Paltz or your home, whichever is closer to your destination.
- Mileage reimbursement rates are determined by the IRS and change frequently. Review mileage rates before traveling.
- The mileage allowance covers charges for gasoline, repairs, insurance and towing.
- When submitting reimbursement for official travel by privately owned vehicle, list the starting and ending points (including addresses) of the trip(s) being claimed on the Statement of Automobile Travel Form.
- Mileage claimed should closely conform to the most efficient time or distance route as calculated by MapQuest.
- Only official travel for business purposes should be claimed on the travel voucher, not side trips such as shopping, entertainment, or personal activities.
- All reasonable and necessary parking and toll charges will be reimbursed as an incidental expense, valet services are not reimbursable.
- Review cost comparison between personal car and rental car with the trip calculator.
- When an employee uses a personal car on State business and is involved in an accident, the employee’s insurance provides the primary source of coverage. State involvement is subject to specific requirements detailed in Section 17 of the New York State Public Officers Law.
- Knowingly misrepresenting the facts concerning travel for official business or signing travel forms which contain deliberate false statements is a violation of the NY Penal law and will be subject to administrative and/or disciplinary action.
- For more detailed liability concerns see attachment.
Airfare should be the lowest cost accommodations available. Flight insurance is not a covered expense by NYS. If the airfare price is over $1000 provide 3 price quotes with the travel requisition showing value of the price paid. The passenger’s portion of the airline ticket or an e-ticket must be submitted with the travel voucher. Boarding passes cannot be used to vouch for expenses. OGS airline travel contract can be used for booking or price quotes.
Buses should be used when convenient, cost effective, and time efficient. An original receipt is required for reimbursement. BUS guidelines