Prior to taking trip
- clearly define purpose of trip to comply with the state travel regulations
- used prior to your trip get pre-approval of funds and authorized signatures
- required when cost of trip is over $200. (if less than $200 just complete travel voucher upon return)
- used to receive requested pre-payments (registrations, etc.)prior to trip
How To Complete the form
Pertinent Information – all gray areas must be completed
- Requisition Number, account number(s) and amounts for each account if multiple funding sources
- Name, Title, Department, Phone, Date, Purpose of Trip, Destination, Departure/Return
Registration – attach documentation of event including, place, date, purpose of travel
- recommended payment process is on department procurement card
- alternate attendee must be included if pre-payment is required
- registration needs to be done by the employee prior to submitting the travel requisition for pre-payment; we can only make payment, not mail the registration form with payment. Name, address, and SFS identification number is required of vendor for prepayments to be mailed efficiently
Transportation - compare several means of transportation to find the most economical method
- rental car
- airfare (over $1000 provide 3 quotes to req.)
- train - Metro North | Amtrak
- personal auto | mileage rates | trip calculator
Lodging – compare several options to find the most economical cost
- lodge within per diem rates or complete a justification form and get pre-approval for amounts over the perdiem (required!)
- choose receipted or un-receipted method before traveling
- bring a Tax Exemption Certificate form for lodging in New York State
Meals - per diem rates are based on where hotel is located when in overnight status
- day trip travel over 35 miles or 1 hour before shift and 2 hours past shift qualifies traveler for breakfast ($5) and/or dinner ($12) (taxable)
- no allowance is given for lunch
Incidental Expenses – includes parking, taxi, tolls, bridges, etc.
- no receipt required under $75 per incident
- must list all costs incurred and itemize each expense
- complete requested form 30 days or more prior to date of trip
- advances are only given to state employees not students, candidates, or consultants and guests
Approvals - traveler and supervisor must sign, and any authorized signature for account approval
- forward requisition to purchasing for out of state/country – we will route to appropriate person for approval
Travel requisitions should be submitted to Purchasing, HAB 307, 30 days prior to taking a trip for approval and processing time of any required advance payments. Only day trips under $200 or emergency/short notice trips can be submitted after the trip is taken.
Persons who travel before obtaining all approvals do so at their own risk and may not be reimbursed for their travel costs.
Upon return from trip
Travel Voucher Form
PLEASE NOTE: A voucher must be completed for every trip taken!
Even if all expenditures were pre-paid and no reimbursement is required!
- to document actual expenditures of trip for reimbursement or refund of prepayment
- to reimburse traveler for day business trips that are less than $200.
- to provide original receipts showing method of payment with 0 balance due (if over $75.)
- to include authorized signatures for actual payment of travel
- to close the open travel requisition
How to complete the form
Required Information – all gray areas must be completed
- Requisition Number, Account Number/s and amounts for each account
- Name, Home Address, Date, Purpose of Trip, Destination, Departure/Return info, Neg. Unit
- list registration fee, include a receipt if requesting reimbursement
- if membership fee was required to attend conference, attach a justification form with receipt
- -list mode of transportation used with cost and original receipt attached
- -list mileage break down if personal car was used on an automobile statement of travel (round off to nearest mile)
- -list cost of lodging expense with original receipt attached (receipt should show zero balance due), if within per diem no justification form required
- -list meals by number of days and per diem or day trip rate totals, no receipts required (round off meals up or down accordingly)
- list details of all incidentals with cost of each expense separately, no receipts are required under $75 for each incident
- list any prepayments made prior to taking trip, then deduct from total of reimbursement. The total amount should only reflect what is owed to you after the trip. (In some cases, this may be zero – or if an advance was given prior to the trip, you may owe!)
- supervisor and authorized signature for account approval must sign
Travel vouchers should be submitted to Accounts Payable, HAB 304, promptly upon return from trip for a faster reimbursement, but not later than 30 days after trip was taken. Reimbursements will now be processed in the form of a direct deposit or a check based on the way the employee’s payroll payment is currently set up.