Five-Year BA/MA in English

The NEW Five-Year Program offers a fast track to the BA and MA degrees in English. Students can earn two degrees in just five years, while completing the same English courses with the same number of undergraduate and graduate credits as students on the traditional track.



The Five-Year Program in English allows students in the English major to complete the requirements of two degrees in five years. With an additional year of study, students in the program graduate with a MA in English, as well as valuable training for further education and career possibilities. 

To apply to the program, students must meet the following requirements:

  1. Junior standing in English Liberal Arts or English Creative Writing program
  2. 3.5 GPA in English Courses, 3.0 cumulative GPA
  3. Students must complete or be enrolled in ENG300: Seminar in Critical Practices
  4. Students apply for the program in the spring before their senior year (the deadline is March 15)

For the application, students should complete or upload the following materials in the New Paltz online graduate application system. In that system, you should select the five-year BA/MA in English program. Also, choose the semester in which you would begin taking courses as a graduate student as your semester of application (that is, the semester after you will graduate with your BA). For instance, if you are applying as a junior in the Spring 2019 semester, you should select to apply for the Fall 2020 semester.

In the application, you will provide the following:

  1. Two references, at least one of which must be from a New Paltz English Department faculty member and completed using the English Five-Year BA/MA Recommendation Form
  2. Academic Writing Sample no longer than 10 pages; students may choose either one longer essay or two that add up to 10 pages
  3. Personal statement explaining interest in the five-year program (about a page)
  4. A copy of your most recent progress report showing all undergraduate coursework

Students applying to the program, if accepted, should plan on enrolling in a 1-credit summer hybrid course, ENG551: Seminar in Academic Writing


Can I participate in the five-year program if I am a senior? No, unfortunately you need to begin graduate coursework during the fall of your senior year in order to participate in the program. This can only be done if you apply and are admitted during the spring semester before your senior year.

What if I am ahead of schedule/I am supposed to graduate a semester early? Students who would graduate in the fall semester of their senior year will need to extend their coursework for an additional semester in order to participate in the five-year program. Students who choose to do this will still end up ahead of schedule and save money by entering the program—you will complete your graduate degree with just three semesters of coursework (rather than 4-5) and pay for 10 credits of your graduate degree at the undergraduate rate.

Can I enter the five-year program if I am an Adolescence Ed./English major? No, it is not possible to complete the coursework for the five-year program and complete your education coursework (including student teaching) during your senior year.