Asian Studies

Overseas Study > Funding Sources

In addition to the scholarships and funding details listed under individual countries, students may also seek out the following resources for funding study abroad.

Scholarships for SUNY New Paltz Students

Students may search for scholarships at on the scholarship page.

Scholarships for Asian Studies Majors and Minors

Students planning to Major or Minor in Asian Studies may be eligible for scholarships for language study abroad from the Friends of Asian Studies endowment, established with the generous support of alumni, former faculty, and friends of the Asian Studies Program at SUNY New Paltz. For more information, please contact the Asian Studies Program:

Freeman Asia Award Program

These awards are designed to provide American undergraduates with greater opportunity to study abroad in Asia. Undergraduates who are US citizens meeting Freeman's eligibility requirements should prepare their applications in consultation with their SUNY New Paltz Asian Studies faculty advisor during November-February, in preparation for study abroad during the coming Summer / Fall Semester / Academic Year. Students hoping to study abroad during a Spring Semester should consult with their Asian Studies faculty advisor during the April-May/August-September of the previous year.

Fulbright Programs

SUNY New Paltz students and faculty have successfully won Fulbright awards for overseas study and research.  At the Fulbright site, students should seek out Fulbright Full Grants (which include “English Teaching Assistantships” (ETA) abroad to teach English in Asia, and “Research Projects Abroad” to pursue research after graduation), Fulbright Travel-Only Grants, and Critical Language Enhancement Awards (CLEA).  The CLEA helps add 3-6 months of intensive language study to a Fulbright grant through the Critical Language Enhancement Award. Languages available: Arabic (including dialects), Azeri, Bangla/Bengali, Chinese (Mandarin only), Farsi, Gujarati, Hindi, Korean, Marathi, Pashto, Punjabi, Russian, Tajik, Turkish, Urdu, or Uzbek. 

Students should begin planning in consultation with their advisor at least 18 months in advance of travel.  Students should also consult with the Center for International Programs during the spring semester, and seek out the application form on the Fulbright site when it becomes available in early May.  Applications are due to the Center for International Programs in October for awards the following academic year.

Gilman - International Institute for Education

The Gilman International Scholarship Program offers a competition for awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for US undergraduate students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a 2-year or 4-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, this congressionally funded program is administered by the Institute of International Education through its Southern Regional Center in Houston, TX. Additionally, a new $3,000 "Critical Need Language" Supplement is available to students studying Chinese or Korean. Students wishing to apply for Fall Semester or Academic year programs should prepare their applications in February or March for the April deadline.

Blakemore Freeman Fellowships

These highly competitive fellowships provide support for advanced Asian language study abroad. Students with at least three years of language study, who intend to pursue graduate study or public service careers.