Why Go Abroad?
Your study abroad program may provide one of the most fulfilling experiences in your life. When studying, interning, and/or teaching overseas, not only will you grow personally, educationally, and professionally, but you will gain career related skills that are sought after by employers. In an increasingly global workforce and multicultural society, demonstrated cross-cultural communication abilities are essential in our communities and careers.
The SUNY New Paltz Center for International Programs provides a comprehensive list of Study Abroad Programs that also includes teaching assistantships, internships, and service learning opportunities in your host country!
Teaching English Abroad
The Career Resource Center and the Center for International Programs partner to host this annual event. It includes faculty and staff presenting on various teaching English abroad opportunities and teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) programs offered here at SUNY New Paltz. It also includes a panel discussion with a question and answer portion. The event is open to all SUNY New Paltz students and alumni.
Marketing Your International Experience:
- Identify your goals for studying abroad and choose a program that provides the opportunity to fulfill your intentions.
- Identify experiential learning experiences- service, internship, and/or teaching opportunities to complement your studies.
During Your Time Abroad:
- Immerse yourself in the culture- attend festivals, conferences, student events, speak to locals.
- Keep a journal and record meaningful events- both challenging times (ex: a specific encounter where you were trying to communicate in a language you don’t speak) and fulfilling events (ex: traveling to three different countries and feeling accomplished and independent). You can speak about these in interviews!
When You Come Back:
- Add your study abroad experience to your resume
- Meet with a Career Specialist to discuss how to speak about your experience in interviews
- Spread the word and share your experiences with others