We will continue to accept Fall 2014 transfer applications beyond April 1, 2014, except for all programs in Art and Art Education.
Each fall and spring semester, New Paltz welcomes approximately 1,000 students who apply for admission after having completed some coursework at another accredited college. The following information is required to complete the transfer application process:
If you have less than 45 completed credits, you can either apply to a major or apply as "Undeclared." If you have 45 or more completed credits, you must apply directly to a major; "Undeclared" is not a choice.
A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 is required for admission as a transfer student. In addition to this transfer applicants who have completed less than 45 college credits will have their admission decision based on both their college and high school academic record and SAT or ACT test scores.
The majors outlined below carry additional admission major requirements.
- Art – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful portfolio review*
- Visual Arts Education – A minimum of a 3.0 and a successful portfolio review*
- Music – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful music audition/interview*
- Theatre Arts – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful theatre audition/interview*
- Adolescence (Secondary) Education – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II
- Early Childhood/Childhood (Elementary) Education – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II
- Business (all programs) - A minimum GPA of 2.75; (with 45+ credits only) must have completed English Composition I and II, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics with a "C-" or better, and have a Math Placement Level (MPL) of 3 or higher. (Effective fall 2014)
- Communication Disorders – A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Psychology – A minimum GPA of 2.75, a “C” or better in General Psychology and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course. (Effective fall 2014)
- Mathematics – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and completion of Calculus I and be enrolled in Calculus II
- Biology - A minimum GPA of 2.75 and must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus
*Contact the specific department for portfolio submission, audition, and interview information.
FALL 2013 TRANSFER PROFILE:
Fall Transfer Class: 639
Middle 50% GPA: 3.0 - 3.5
Average GPA: 3.3
Send materials to:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
SUNY New Paltz
100 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2499
(845) 257-3209 (Fax)
An important note: New Paltz admission uses email as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application please make sure your email address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid emails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.