Transfer Student Application Information
A student who has taken course work at an accredited college, other than SUNY New Paltz, after high school graduation is considered a transfer student.
PRELIMINARY TRANSFER ADMISSION CONSIDERATION
- A 2.75 minimum grade point average (GPA).
- If more than one college has been attended, it is a 2.75 combined GPA from all previous colleges.
- If the applicant has less than 45 completed credits, their high school academic record and SAT/ACT scores will be considered as well.
- If the applicant has less than 45 completed credits, they may either apply to a major or apply as "Undeclared."
- If the applicant has 45 or more completed credits, they must apply directly to a major - "Undeclared" is not a choice.
TRANSFER APPLICATION PROCESS
Submit the SUNY Application or the Common Application (Application fee is $50 and is non-refundable and non-transferable. The SUNY Application fee is waived for SUNY or CUNY associate degree holders. The Common Application fee is not waived for SUNY or CUNY associate degree holders).
Submit official transcripts from all colleges previously attended to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
Submit official, final high school transcript (necessary for residency and tuition purposes) to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
Submit official SAT/ ACT score reports if required to Office of Undergraduate Admission.
Submit official AP, IB, CLEP score reports to Office of Undergraduate Admission.
TRANSFER ADMISSION TO SPECIFIC MAJORS
- Art – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful portfolio review*
- Visual Arts Education – A minimum of a 3.0 and a successful portfolio review*
- Music – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful music audition/interview
- Theatre Arts – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful theatre audition/interview*
*Contact the specific department for portfolio submission, audition, or interview information.
- Adolescence (Secondary) Education – A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
- Early Childhood/Childhood (Elementary) Education – A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
- Business (all programs) - A minimum GPA of 2.75; with 45+ credits only must have completed English Composition I and II, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
- Communication Disorders – A minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Psychology – A minimum GPA of 2.75, a “C” or better in General Psychology and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
- Mathematics – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and completion of Calculus I with a grade of "B-" or better and be enrolled in Calculus II.
- Biology - A minimum GPA of 2.75 and must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus
- All majors within the School of Science & Engineering require the completion of Pre-Calculus.
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change admission criteria for specific majors without notice.
TRANSFER APPLICATION DUE DATES
- Fall enrollment - May 1
- Fall enrollment for Art and Art Education - April 15
- Spring enrollment - December 1
- Spring enrollment for for Art and Art Education - October 15
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
SUNY New Paltz admission uses email as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application please make sure your email address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid emails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.
HOUSING INFORMATION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
On-campus housing is available to accepted transfer students on a first-come, first serve basis. Please contact the Department of Residence Life 845-257-4444 for on-campus housing information for transfer students.
VETERAN and MILITARY SERVICE MEMBERS
Veteran and military service members and their spouses and/or children should contact Jason F. Gilliland, Coordinator of Veteran and Military Services, 845-257-3120 or firstname.lastname@example.org, for further information.