READMISSION and RE-ENROLLMENT
- Did you walk away from SUNY New Paltz without taking a leave of absence...
- Did you withdraw from all your classes...
- Did transfer to another college...
- Were you dismissed from SUNY New Paltz for academic or disciplinary reasons...
- Did you assume you graduated from SUNY New Paltz, but just found out that you didn't?
If you were accepted and matriculated at SUNY New Paltz and your attendance at the college was interrupted for any reason for two or more consecutive semesters; or if you thought you graduated but did not because of course deficiencies and/or failure to submit the proper graduation paperwork ... You must apply for readmission!
Readmission is required for all non-graduates regardless of the number of credits believed to be lacking in order to receive the undergraduate degree.
Your prior enrollment as a matriculated student does not constitute automatic readmission, nor does it guarantee entrance into your original major or fulfillment of any College-wide or SUNY graduation requirements.
Eligibility for consideration for readmission
You must be in good overall academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA) and not on "Academic Warning" or "Academic Probation." A 2.0 GPA does not guarantee readmission to either the college or to a major.
You must have fulfilled all previous financial/judicial/health obligations to the college. All college holds on your records must be resolved prior to applying for readmission. Contact the Registrar's Office to determine if you have any holds.
If you were on "Academic Warning," "Academic Probation," or "Academically Dismissed," you are not eligible for consideration for readmission until one full year has elapsed since your last date of attendance at New Paltz. You must also have completed at least 12-15 credits of academic course work with at least a 2.75 GPA at another institution for consideration.
APPLY FOR READMISSION
Use only the New Paltz “Application for Readmission”
Do not use any other application form.
- The application fee is $50 (non-refundable/non-transferable).
- Apply directly to a major. "Undeclared" is not an option.
- If you are reapplying to your previous major, list that major on the application and be aware that certain time-to-degree limitations (see section below) may affect the readmission decision.
- If you are reapplying to a new major, list that major on the application and be aware that the readmission decision will be based on the current transfer admission criteria to that major (view the transfer requirements for specific majors on the Transfer Admission page) .
- If you attended SUNY New Paltz under a different last name, please indicate your previous name on all documents submitted.
- You must submit official transcripts of all college work taken since leaving SUNY New Paltz to the Office of Undergraduate Admission by the application due date.
READMISSION APPLICATION DUE DATES
- Fall - April 15
- Fall Art/Visual Art Education - March 15
- Spring - Nov. 15
- Spring Art/Visual Art Education - Oct. 15
There is no summer session readmission.
All required documents must be received by Undergraduate Admission by the noted due date.
The College reserves the right to alter due dates without prior notice.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
SUNY New Paltz Admission uses e-mail as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application, please make sure the e-mail address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid e-mails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.
THE READMISSION DECISION
- All readmission decisions are made by the academic department of your intended major.
- You are not guaranteed readmission to the major you applied to.
- Your application is evaluated according to the current department entrance criteria. Many majors have specific entrance requirements. View the list of entrance requirements.
- All decisions are final.
- You will be notified by mail by the Office of Undergraduate Admission of the decision.
- Your acceptance decision is valid only for the semester you applied for. You cannot defer your acceptance.
What to do after acceptance
- You must submit the $150 Pre-Enrollment Deposit (PED) to confirm your attendance. You cannot register for classes until the PED is paid.
- You must make an advising appointment with the chair of the department of your intended major before registering for any classes.
IMPORTANT RE-ENROLLMENT INFORMATION
Students separated from New Paltz for three years or less...
- If you return within three (3) years of your last date of attendance at SUNY New Paltz you may continue under the General Education and major/department requirements in effect at the time of your first matriculation, unless that major has been revised.
- If you return and are admitted to a new major, you will complete the major requirements in effect at the time of your return.
Student separated from New Paltz for more than 3 years...
- If more than three (3) years has passed since your last date of attendance you are responsible for all SUNY New Paltz, SUNY, and degree requirements in effect at the time of your return.
Academically Dismissed Students...
- If you were academically dismissed and are readmitted, you are now responsible for all College, SUNY, and major/department requirements in effect at the time of your return.
- If academically dismissed for a second time, you will no longer be eligible for readmission and will not be eligible to enroll as a degree or non-degree student at SUNY New Paltz.
DEGREE TIME LIMITATION POLICY
- A) If the student has been separated from the College for no more than three (3) years (six consecutive semesters), the student may be readmitted to the degree program in effect at the time of their separation from the College, unless that degree program has been revised and re-registered with NYS ED.
- B) If more than three (3) years (six semesters) have passed since the student's last date of attendance at the College, the student is responsible for all SUNY New Paltz, SUNY, and major program requirements in effect at the time of readmission. As majors and degree requirements have undergone significant changes the student can expect to be required to pursue considerable additional coursework. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the appropriate academic dean, the Provost, and the Vice President for Enrollment.
- Adopted: Council of Dean, March 2009; Affirmed - Provost, November 2013
COURSE TIME LIMITATION POLICY
- If an undergraduate has been gone for more than seven (7) years, completed General Education and major/degree fulfilling courses may be no longer be valid and appropriate substitutions may have to be taken to fulfill current requirements. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the appropriate academic dean.
- Adopted: Council of Deans, March 2009; Affirmed - Provost, November 2013
IMPORTANT NOTE ON TRANSCRIPTS & DIPLOMAS
SUNY New Paltz cannot honor any requests for back dating of transcripts or diplomas.
Please e-mail your questions regarding readmission to email@example.com. Please note "Readmission Inquiry" in the subject line of your e-mail.