Readmission to SUNY New Paltz
We are no longer accepting Fall 2014 readmission applications. The next available semester is Spring 2015.
- Did you walk away from New Paltz without taking a Leave of Absence?
- Did you withdraw from all your classes and then not attend New Paltz for two consecutive semesters?
- Did you leave New Paltz and attend another college?
- Were you dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons?
- Did you think you graduated - and just found out that you haven't?
If you were accepted and matriculated in an undergraduate degree program at New Paltz and your attendance at the College was discontinued for any reason, at any time, or you thought you graduated but did not because of course deficiencies and/or failure to submit the proper graduation paperwork...
You must apply for readmission!
Readmission is required for all non-graduates regardless of the number of credits believed to be lacking in order to receive the undergraduate degree.
Are you eligible for consideration for readmission?
Your prior enrollment as a matriculated student does not constitute automatic readmission nor does it guarantee entrance into your original major or fulfillment of any College-wide or SUNY graduation requirements.
You are if you attended New Paltz as a matriculated student for at least one semester.
You are in good, overall academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA). However, having a 2.0 GPA does not guarantee admission to either the College or to a major.
You are if you have fulfilled all previous financial/judicial/health obligations to the College. All College holds on your records must be resolved prior to applying for readmission; contact the Registrar's Office to determine if you have nay holds.
You are if you were academically dismissed and now have been out one full year from the date of your academic dismissal (two full semesters). It is required that all academically dismissed students successfully complete at least 15 credits of academic course work with at least a 2.75 GPA at another institution for consideration for readmission
Readmission to Specific Majors
Adolescence Education: A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a "B" or better in English Composition I & II to be considered.
Early Childhood/Childhood Education(dual certification program): A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a "B" or better in English Composition I & II to be considered.
School of Business (all programs): A minimum GPA of 2.75. Those with 45+ credits must also have completed English Composition I & II, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics with a "C-" or better, and have a Math Placement Level (MPL) of 3 or higher. (Effective fall 2014)
Communication Disorders & Science: A minimum GPA of 3.0 to be considered.
BFA & BA/BS Visual Arts: A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a new, successful portfolio review.*
Visual Art Education: A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a new, successful portfolio review.*
Music: A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a new, successful music audition to be considered.*
Theatre Arts: A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a new, successful theatre audition to be considered.*
Mathematics: A minimum GPA of 2.75 and completed Calculus I and be enrolled in Calculus II.
Psychology: A minimum GPA of 2.75, a minimum of a "C" in General Psychology, and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course. (Effective fall 2014)
Biology: A minimum GPA of 2.75 and must have completed General Biology I and II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus.
*Contact the specific department for information on your portfolio submission or audition/interview. Portfolio reviews and audition/interviews must be completed no later than the stated Application for Readmission due date.
How to apply
Use only the New Paltz
Do not use any other application form.
- The application fee is $50 (non-refundable/non-transferable).
- Apply directly to your major. "Undeclared" is not an option.
- If you attended New Paltz under a different last name, please indicate your previous name on all documents submitted.
- You must submit official transcripts of all college work taken since leaving New Paltz to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
If you have been gone for 6 or more years
The College does not retain the educational records of non-graduates beyond 6 years.
If 6 or more years have elapsed since your last attendance at New Paltz, you must re-submit all original educational documents directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission:
- If you entered as a freshman, these would be your high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores.
- If you entered as a transfer, it would be all your previous college transcripts.
Application due dates
- Fall - April 1
- Fall Art/Visual Art Education - March 15
- Spring - Nov. 1
- Spring Art/Visual Art Education - Oct. 15
- There is no summer session readmission
All required documents must be received in Undergraduate Admission by this date.
The College reserves the right to alter due dates without prior notice.
If you are currently enrolled at another college and the results of your current coursework are deemed critical in making the readmission decision, you may have your application moved tot he next possible semester if the grades of these courses will not be available until after the above noted application due dates.
An important note:
New Paltz Admission uses e-mail as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application, please make sure the e-mail address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid e-mails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders
The Readmission Decision
- All readmission decisions are made by the academic department to which you have applied.
- Your application is evaluated according to the specific department admission criteria in place at the time of your Application for Readmission.
- All decisions are final.
- You will be notified by mail by the Office of Undergraduate Admission of the decision.
- Your acceptance decision is valid only for the semester you applied for. You cannot defer your acceptance.
Welcome back! Here's what to expect...
What to do after acceptance
- You must submit the $150.00 Pre-Enrollment Deposit (PED) to confirm your attendance. You cannot register for classes until the PED is paid.
- You must make an advising appointment with the chair of the department of your intended major before registering for any classes.
Academic Consequences of Readmission
Students in Good Academic Standing: 3 years or less
- If you return within three (3) years of your last date of attendance at New Paltz you may continue under the General Education and major/department requirements in effect at the time of your first matriculation.
- If you return and are admitted to a new major, you will complete the major requirements in effect at the time of your return.
Student in Good Academic Standing: More than 3 years
- If more than three (3) years has passed since your last date of attendance you re responsible for all New Paltz, SUNY, and degree requirements in effect at the time of your return. (exceptions may be made at the discretion of the appropriate academic dean, Provost of the College, and Vice President of Enrollment Management).
Academically Dismissed Students
- If you were academically dismissed and are readmitted, you are now responsible for all College, SUNY, and major/department requirements in effect at the time of your return.
- If you are academically dismissed for a second time, you will no longer be eligible for readmission and will not be eligible to enroll as a degree or non-degree student at New Paltz.
Degree Time Limitation Policy*
Students matriculated in a bachelor's degree program at the College who fail to maintain enrollment for two (2) consecutive semesters are administratively withdrawn from the College (the exception is those granted a Leave of Absence). Students who are administratively withdrawn must apply for readmission before they will be permitted to resume their studies.
- A) If the standards of admission in effect at the time of application for readmission are met, and the student has not been separated from the College for more than three (3) years (six consecutive semesters), the student may be admitted to the degree program in effect at the time of their separation from the College.
- B) If more than three (3) years (six semesters) have passed since the student's last date of attendance at the College, the student is responsible for all New Paltz, SUNY, and major program requirements in effect at the time of readmission. As many majors have undergone significant changes the student may expect to be required to pursue considerable additional coursework.
- C) Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the appropriate academic dean, Provost of the College, and Vice President of Enrollment Management.
*Adopted: Council of Dean, March 2009
Course Limitation Policy*
- If an undergraduate has been gone for more than seven (7) years, all of the complete General Education and major courses may be no longer be valid and appropriate substitutions may have to be taken to fulfill current requirements.
- Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the appropriate academic dean.
*Adopted: Council of Deans, March 2009
The College cannot honor any requests for back dating of transcripts or diplomas.
Please e-mail your questions regarding readmission to email@example.com. Please note "Readmission Inquiry" in the subject line of your e-mail.
Approved - Spring 2009
Council of Deans