FRESHMEN APPLICATION INFORMATION
GENERAL FRESHMEN CRITERIA
Admission to the freshman class at New Paltz is very selective.
New Paltz typically receives in excess of 12,500 applications for a freshmen class of 1150.
The following are the important factors in a freshmen application review:
- Quality and strength of high school academic program for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades.
- Continued achievement as shown by senior mid-year grades.
- Results of either the SAT or ACT.
- Quality of the personal essay.
- Letter of recommendation from one academic teacher or guidance counselor.
A college preparatory program containing the following five core subject areas is strongly recommended:
- 4 units of English
- 4 units of social studies/history
- 3-4 units of college prep mathematics (minimally Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II/Trigonometry)
- 3-4 units of science (3 units laboratory science required)
- 2-4 units of a language other than English
Information for home school/correspondence school applicants can be found here.
Information on EOP admission can be found here.
- Completed application form- either SUNY Application or the Common Application. (Do not submit two applications.)
- Official high school transcript (SUNY New Paltz does not accept the SUNY SOAR or any other self-reported high school transcript).
- Official results of the SAT or ACT (SUNY New Paltz does not accept scores hand written on high school transcripts, student copy score reports, scores listed on the SUNY Supplemental Application or the SUNY SOAR, or listed on the Student Profile of the Common Application)
- Personal essay
- At least one letter of recommendation from an academic teacher or your guidance counselor.
AN IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTE!
SUNY New Paltz Admission uses email as its official method of communication. In order to assure that applicants receive all communications related to their application, applicants must make sure that the email address provided on their application is correct. Applicants should add SUNY New Paltz to their address book to avoid emails from www.newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.
Freshman Profile Fall 2014
|Freshman HS Average (mid 50%)||89.2- 94.2|
|SAT (CR + M) (mid 50%)||1080-1230|
|ACT (mid 50%)||24-28|
|EOP Freshman Class||123|
|EOP Freshman HS Average (mid 50%)||82.5-89.3|
|EOP SAT (CR + M) (mid 50%)||850-980|
|EOP ACT (mid 50%)||17-21|
* all information as of May 28, 2014
Demographic and Geographic Profile (Fall 2014)
|New York State||92.8|