A second degree applicant is a student who has already earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university. All second degree students must apply using the general SUNY transfer application.
Second Degree Information
- The intended major of the second degree must require at least 15 credits that were not contained in the major of the first degree.
- Second Degree candidates receive a maximum of 90 credits in transfer; the number of liberal arts and upper division credits will be based on the courses taken in the first degree. The College Progress Report will reflect the credits accepted as well as any requirements that remain unmet.
- Second Degree candidates are considered to have met the General Education Program and the Writing Intensive requirement.
- Second Degree candidates must complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence at SUNY New Paltz.
Second Degree Application Requirements
The following information is required to complete the application process:
A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 is required for admission as a second degree student. The majors outlined below carry additional admission major requirements:
- Art – A successful portfolio review*
- Visual Arts Education – A minimum of a 3.0 and a successful portfolio review*
- Music – A successful music audition/interview*
- Theatre Arts – A successful theatre audition/interview (enrollment limited to fall semester only)*
- Adolescence (Secondary) Education – A “B” or better in English Composition I and II
- Early Childhood/Childhood (Elementary) Education - A "B" or better in English Composition I and II
- Communication Disorders – A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Psychology – A minimum of a “C” or better in General Psychology
- Mathematics- Completed Calculus I and be enrolled in Calculus II
- Mathematics Adolescence (Secondary)Education - Must meet requirements for both Mathematics and Adolescence Education
- Biology - Must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus
*Contact the specific department for portfolio submission, audition, and interview information.
Send transcripts and all other materials to:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
State University of New York at New Paltz
100 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2499