IF YOU NEED EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE OF ANY KIND ON CAMPUS
DIAL 911 FROM A CAMPUS PHONE
OR 845-257-2222 FROM YOUR CELL TO
OFF CAMPUS EMERGENCIES DIAL 911
If you feel your illness/injury is an EMERGENCY call University Police Department (UPD) 845-257-2222 on campus (or 911). If you live off-campus call 911. On-campus UPD will speak to the student and call an Ambulance to evaluate the student and transport them to an emergency room if indicated.
Your illness/injury may be URGENT and need to be dealt with before Student Health Service reopens. In this case you may need to go to one of the facilities listed on the Student Health Service web page http://www.newpaltz.edu/healthcenter/urgent.html. Transportation for this type of visit is usually by private vehicle or taxi. This form of transportation will be less costly than an ambulance. Even in an emergency an ambulance will require payment or insurance copayment.
Some illnesses/injuries CAN WAIT until Student Health Service next opens. If you’re not sure whether your problem is urgent or can wait, call the Student Health Service number 845-257-3400 which will connect you to an answering service. The answering service will call the on-call physician and they will speak with you. If they recommend waiting they may also be able to recommend some symptomatic treatment to make you more comfortable.
Student Health Service 845-257-3400
Fall and Spring Semester
Open: Monday – Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Saturday - 12noon to 3:45pm
Summer and Intersession
Open: Monday – Friday 8am to 3:45pm
Mental Health Emergency
The Psychological Counseling Center (PCC) provides 24/7 access for urgent concerns/consultation during the academic year when classes are in session. If you are concerned about a student:
- Call the PCC at 845-257-2920 during the weekdays 8:30AM-5:00PM and 8:00AM - 4:00PM during Winter /Summer intercession.
- After hours and on weekends, call University Police at 845-257-2222and ask for an Emergency Counseling Consult. You will need to give your name and contact number to UPD who will immediately contact PCC staff. Response time from PCC is usually within minutes.
- Students wishing to speak with a trained student volunteer about suicidal thoughts, depression, relationships, roommates, substance abuse, academic and other issues can call OASIS at 845-257-4945 or walk-in at Deyo Hall G13c from 8 pm – 1 am when classes are in session
- Students wishing to speak with a trained student volunteer about sexual assault, unwanted sexual experience and relationship violence call HAVEN at 845-257-4930 or walk in at Deyo Hall G13c from 8 pm – 1 am when classes are in session
The PCC welcomes calls from any concerned individual in or outside of the college community witnessing our students in apparent distress. Phone calls and in-person consultation services with those who are concerned about a student are a regular part of PCC's responsibility to the college community. PCC values a proactive approach in maintaining a safe living and learning community
For information on frequently asked questions visit https://www.newpaltz.edu/counseling/ and click on the FAQ menu on the left that best suits your needs as a family member, friend or faculty/staff.
When a family member, faculty/staff, or friend contacts the PCC with concerns about a student, the PCC staff will make recommendations as to how to speak with the student, and how to refer to the PCC. In most situations like this, the PCC staff member acts as a consultant to the person calling, helping that person respond more effectively to the student of concern.
If your concern is that a student is engaging in behaviors that may be a risk for harm to self or others, PCC staff will immediately follow-up by activating its emergency protocol for reaching out to the student and providing the necessary support.
Psychological Counseling Center 845-257-2920
Fall and Spring Semester
Open: Monday – Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Summer and Intersession
Open: Monday – Friday 8am to 4:00pm
Shelter-in-Place/Emergency Lockdown SUNY New Paltz Student Emergency Response Plan Procedures:
- Close classroom and other doors, barricade and/or lock, if possible.
- Close windows and window treatments.
- Turn off lights.
- Everyone is to remain quiet and not enter hallways.
- If an Emergency Lockdown has been sounded, and should the fire alarm sound, do NOT evacuate the building unless: You have first-hand knowledge that there is a fire in the building, or You have been advised by University Police, Fire Department, or Environmental Health & Safety to evacuate the building, or There is imminent danger in the immediate area.
- Crouch down in areas that are out of sight from doors and windows.
- Students in hallways are to seek shelter in the nearest classroom or office.
- Students in outdoor areas should immediately take cover.
UPD will advise when students, faculty & staff will be released from a Shelter-in-Place. This will depend solely on when police determine the situation is safe to do so.
For more information on Active Shooter procedures see http://www.newpaltz.edu/police/active_shooter.html
To Receive Alerts
(for use by administrators, University Police and members of the Emergency Response Team)