Majors and Minors 
Declaring a Major 
Declaring a Minor 
How to Declare
Advising Information
New Curriculum

Research Experience/SONA
Careers in Psychology

Transfer Students
Going to Graduate School
Psi Chi (New Paltz Chapter)
Curricular Map
YouTube Channel


Majors and Minors

Declaring a Major

To declare a major in psychology, students must:

  1. Complete the Introduction to Psychology course.
  2. Have at least a 2.75 GPA.
  3. Have a Math Placement Level (MPL) of 3 or higher (4 if declaring the psychobiology concentration).

A maximum of six transfer courses can be counted toward the major and at least five of psychology courses applied to the major must be taken at SUNY New Paltz.

Declaring a Minor

In order to declare a minor in psychology, students must complete the Introduction to Psychology course. A maximum of three transfer courses can be counted toward the minor. At least three psychology courses applied to the minor must be taken at SUNY New Paltz.

How To Declare

When you are ready to declare your major or minor, please email a current PDF copy of your progress report to the undergraduate advising assistants at The assistants will help you declare. If you need to come see them in person, they can be found in Wooster 361 (office hours and contact information here). 

Advising Information

When you declare your major, the undergraduate advising assistants will assign you an advisor from the psychology faculty. Your advisor is your "go to" person for advance registration and all other psychology-related advising issues throughout your time as a major; most advising issues can be handled at the faculty advisor level. However, if your faculty advisor cannot address your issue, please see the undergraduate advisors, the chair, or the assistant chairs.

How do you know who your advisor is? Your advisor is listed on your progress report. To find out your advisor's contact information and office hours, see the Department Directory

The Department of Psychology does not assign minor advisors. For psychology minor advising questions that your major advisor cannot answer, please contact the undergraduate advising assistants or the department chair.

Research Experience/SONA

Information for Students

Information for Researchers

Going to Graduate School in Psychology