UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM IN PSYCHOLOGY
- Overview of the Psychology Undergraduate Program (including disaster studies and evolutionary studies interdisciplinary minors)
- Undergraduate Course Descriptions
- Psychology Major, including the Psychobiology and I/O Concentrations
- Psychology Minor and I/O Minor
- New Curriculum Q&A
To declare a major in psychology, students must:
- Complete the Introduction to Psychology course.
- Have at least a 2.75 GPA.
- Have a Math Placement Level (MPL) of 3 or higher (4 if declaring the psychobiology concentration).
A maximum of six transfer courses can be counted toward the major and at least five of psychology courses applied to the major must be taken at SUNY New Paltz.
In order to declare a minor in psychology, students must complete the Introduction to Psychology course. A maximum of three transfer courses can be counted toward the minor. At least three psychology courses applied to the minor must be taken at SUNY New Paltz.
When you are ready to declare your major or minor, please email a current PDF copy of your progress report to the undergraduate advising assistants at firstname.lastname@example.org. The assistants will help you declare. If you need to come see them in person, they can be found in Wooster 361 (office hours and contact information here).
When you declare your major, the undergraduate advising assistants will assign you an advisor from the psychology faculty. Your advisor is your "go to" person for advance registration and all other psychology-related advising issues throughout your time as a major; most advising issues can be handled at the faculty advisor level. However, if your faculty advisor cannot address your issue, please see the undergraduate advisors, the chair, or the assistant chairs.
How do you know who your advisor is? Your advisor is listed on your progress report. To find out your advisor's contact information and office hours, see the Department Directory.
The Department of Psychology does not assign minor advisors. For psychology minor advising questions that your major advisor cannot answer, please contact the undergraduate advising assistants or the department chair.
Information for Students
- Research Experience Requirement
- Psychology Department Subject Pool (SONA log in) (SONA Frequently Asked Questions)
- How to sign up for Subject Pool studies (PDF)
Information for Researchers
- Granting Subject Pool Credit Automatically for Qualtrics Studies
- Psychology Subject Pool Permission Form for Research Studies (PDF)