The Goal of Interviewing
- Convince the employer that you are the best candidate for the job
- Demonstrate that you possess the necessary skills for the position:
- Job specific skills
- Transferable skills
- Personal characteristics
- Exhibit enthusiasm, confidence, professionalism, and preparedness throughout the entire interview process!
Preparing for Interviews
- Prepare for typical interview questions
- Know why you’re a good candidate
- Research the company or organization: Company Research Resources (Sojourner Truth Library)
- Prepare answers to possible interview questions
- Use LinkedIn's instant, AI-powered feedback on the delivery of your answer when you practice and record a video
Use Big Interview to prepare for your next interview!
We are pleased to offer you a free training system that features a new and innovative way to help you prepare more effectively for a job interview.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training and practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence.
You have at your disposal a variety of tools including:
- Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
- A database of thousands of interview questions with tips on how to answer them
- The ability to rate and share your interview answers for feedback
- A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
- A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
HOW TO REGISTER
STEP 1: Go to our school page and click "Register".
STEP 2: Complete registration process
STEP 3: You'll then receive a confirmation email at your SCHOOL email address. Click "Verify" in the email, and you'll be able to start using Big Interview.
During the Interview
- Ask Questions!
- Appropriate Mannerisms/Behaviors
- Focus on the positives, not negatives
- Show positive body language
- Make eye contact
- Making a positive impression
Post Interview: Follow up! - Send a thank-you letter within 24-48 hours of the interview
Illegal Interview Questions
Interviewers are required by law to keep questions asked job related. Charges of discrimination may result from improper or illegal interview questions. These are interview questions that are related to a candidates:
- Race, ethnicity, or color
- Gender or Sex
- Country of national origin or birthplace
- Marital or family status or pregnancy
For more information on Interviewing access our tip sheet
Access our Negotiating your Salary and Benefits tip sheet for information on:
- Deciding on expected salary range, initial salary research,
- Researching Geographic Differences in Salary Offers
- Discussing benefits and salary with employers