Edit Page

Undergraduate Catalog

Policies: Dropping, Adding, or Withdrawing

Academic Policies and Procedures > Dropping, Adding, or Withdrawing from Courses

DROPPING, ADDING, or WITHDRAWING FROM COURSES are often sensible steps to take. However, because these actions can affect your progress toward degree, your student status, your financial aid eligibility and a host of other factors, you should always consult with your advisor and other relevant student services offices, before making a change to your schedule.

Dropping or adding courses until the end of the course change period is relatively easy. Specific dates are published in each semester's Academic Calendar, but the official course change period is scheduled for the first five days of classes and may be done in person at Records/Registration or online. Dropping or adding a course does not require the written approval of the student's faculty advisor, although first semester students need to consult with Academic Advising. Courses may be added, provided that space is available in the classes, as determined by registration information. Students are responsible for printing a copy of their new course schedule to confirm the changes were made.

Students may withdraw from a course for any reason up to approximately two weeks after the mid-point of the semester. Specific dates are published in the Academic Calendar.  A course withdrawal form, available in the Records/Registration Office, must be submitted to that office no later than 4 p.m. on the day designated in the Calendar. Undergraduates wishing to withdraw from a course must obtain the signature of the instructor of the course who will certify the last date of the student’s attendance, as well as the signature of their academic advisor. Students should consult with Student Accounts regarding tuition liability and aid considerations. Withdrawal forms submitted with unauthorized signatures will not be processed and may result in an "F" grade for the course and college disciplinary action. There is a $20.00 fee for each course withdrawal processed. Students are responsible for printing a copy of their new course schedule to confirm the changes were made.  Students may not drop or withdraw from English Composition 1 or 2 or the equivalent or the Key Issues course.

No record of course enrollment will appear on the transcript if a course is dropped during the official course change period. After that, a grade of “W” will be recorded for approved withdrawals from courses. A student who stops attending class without following the above procedures will receive a grade of “F” in the course.

Withdrawal from a course after the deadline is rarely permitted, and only for compelling professionally certified non-academic reasons such as unforeseen medical or financial problems. Requests for retroactive course withdrawals must be filed not later than one calendar year after the end of the semester or summer session in which the course was taken. This process requires approval of the academic Dean under whose jurisdiction the course is offered.

The college reserves the right to require that courses taken beyond the number required for a degree (120 credits for all but a few specific majors such as engineering) be those required for a student to graduate.  Withdrawals from courses at this point will not be allowed.