SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Residence Life
Budget Title: Complex Director
Local Title: Complex Director
Posting Date: February 6, 2017
Duties: SUNY New Paltz seeks a Complex Director. This appointment is a ten month, live-in position, which includes excellent state and union benefits, a furnished apartment, and meal plan. The Complex Director reports directly to an Area Coordinator of Residence Life. The successful applicant will supervise and coordinate the activities of one residence hall and serve on a functional team within the department. They will be responsible for the operation of one residence hall of not more than 300 students, as well as specialized departmental responsibilities for a residential program housing approximately 3,000 students.
1. Directly supervise the Resident Assistants in the building which you are assigned. Provide training, development, support, and conduct evaluations of staff.
2. Oversee the development and coordination of community development, which includes cultural, educational and social programs for the hall, thus addressing the needs and concerns of the community
3. Counsel and advise individual students in the broad areas of academic, vocational, and personal guidance. Provide training and data to staff to facilitate their ability to provide counseling within the limits of their trained capabilities.
4. Actively advise a hall government and assist them by developing programs that enhance their leadership development
5. Serve as a member of a departmental functional team - Administrative Operations, Leadership Development, Program Development, Assessment, Advancement, or Judicial
6. Assist in the recruitment and selection of new professional and paraprofessional staff
7. Consistently enforce Federal, State and College regulations within the hall and across campus
8. Assist in the development and accomplishment of goals and priorities for the Division of Student Affairs and the Department of Residence Life
9. Participate in an on-call rotation schedule, providing 24 hour support to students and responding to on-campus crises and/or incidents
10. Any and all additional tasks and responsibilities as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Director of Residence Life
Qualifications: - Bachelor's Degree required. Master's Degree desirable. Relevant hall experience preferred.
- Varied residence hall staff experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement residence hall programming, community building, and in-service training for staff
- Evidence of strong administrative skills, ability to multitask
- Demonstrated ability to interact and work well with staff and students of diverse interests and backgrounds
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. To apply, please visit
Applicants will be required to submit a letter of application, resume and contact information for three professional references. Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.