Edit Page

Undergraduate Catalog

Policies: Visiting Students

Academic Policies and Procedures ยป Visiting Students

Who is a visiting student?

  • Undergraduate students who are matriculated at another college and wish to take courses at SUNY New Paltz during the regular academic year are considered visiting students.
  • Visiting students remain matriculated at their home institution and are considered non-matriculated students at SUNY New Paltz.
  • Visiting students may take up to one academic year of courses at SUNY New Paltz.

General visiting student criteria:

  • You must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA at your home institution for consideration.
  • You must not be on academic probation, academic warning or academic suspension at your home institution.
  • You must not be on disciplinary probation or suspension at your home institution.

To apply:

  • Complete and submit the Visiting Student Application.
  • Submit the $50 application/processing fee. Make the check or money order payable to "SUNY New Paltz." Do not send cash. The application/processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Required application documentation:

  • Your application must be signed by your advisor (from your home institution) indicating approval of all courses in which you wish to enroll at SUNY New Paltz and providing signed proof of your good academic and disciplinary standing.
  • Submit an official transcript from your home institution.

Application and required documents due date(s):

  • Fall - May 1
  • Spring - November 1
  • Summer Session - SUNY New Paltz does not process visiting student applications for the summer session as the summer session is open to the general public, provided certain basic requirements and course prerequisites are met.

SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.

Approval as a visiting student:

  • You will be notified of the enrollment decision by mail.
  • You may register for courses, on a space available basis, only during the registration period noted for non-matriculated students on the Academic Calendar.
  • You must document, by official transcript, that you have met any and all course prerequisites.
  • Upon course registration, you will receive an invoice from the Office of Student Accounts with a payment due date.  Failure to abide by this date will result in course de-registration.
  • If you are receiving financial aid (including loans) from your home institution, you are responsible for making arrangements with your home institution to ensure the continuation of financial aid.
  • On-campus housing is not available.

Important Visiting Student Enrollment Information

  • Visiting students may enroll in courses for a maximum of two semesters. After two semesters they must apply for transfer admission.
  • Visiting students must attain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA or they will be ineligible to register for further courses at SUNY New Paltz.

Study Abroad Program

  • Students who are matriculated at another institution and wish to participate in the SUNY New Paltz Study Abroad program are considered visiting students.
  • Study Abroad applications can be found at New Paltz Study Abroad.