SUNY New Paltz’s General Education (GE) program lays the foundation for students' intellectual development by providing a broad knowledge base, essential communication skills, and opportunities to explore new perspectives, ways of thinking, arguing, and being. GE courses teach students how to think instead of what to think. Through New Paltz's diverse GE course offerings students develop a capacity for lifetime learning and adaptability in a rapidly changing world.
In fall 2023, New Paltz will introduce GE 5, our new General Education program for students entering that semester or after. GE 5 aligns with SUNY's new General Education Framework and shares its goals of addressing essential skills and competencies, exploring disciplinary and interdisciplinary ways of knowing, and encouraging engaged learning and student success. The GE 5 requirements for degree completion apply to students who matriculate in or after fall 2023. Check these pages later this spring for more information about GE 5.
Students who matriculated at New Paltz prior to fall 2023 will complete the General Education requirements under which they entered the university:
- GE4 requirements apply to students who matriculated at New Paltz from fall 2019 through spring 2023.
- Students who matriculated at New Paltz prior to fall 2019 will complete the requirements known as GE3 (GE III).
For more information about GE3, GE4 and GE 5 requirements, visit the pages linked below.
Learn More About General Education:
- GE 5: More information coming soon!
- GE4: For students who matriculate Fall 2019 and after
- GE3 (GE III): For students who matriculated Fall 2003 through Spring 2019