The use of bicycles on campus is widely encouraged, however, it is imperative that everyone practice safety when riding and storing your bike on campus.
When using a bicycle on campus, please do not lock it to or lean it against lamp posts, hand rails, benches, buildings, or any other campus property not intended to host bicycles since this action can create safety hazards, interfere with maintenance work, and cause damage to campus property and the bike.
Bicycles found in areas other than designated bicycle racks will be removed by Campus Facilities staff. If an improperly stowed bicycle is locked, it may be necessary for the chain or lock to be cut, particularly if the owner cannot be identified or does not respond to a call from Facilities staff. The bicycle will be relocated to the nearest bike rack with a new lock installed, call 845-257-3301 for assistance with unlocking the temporary lock. If your lock/cable needs to be cut due to an individual locking it in an unintended area, the College will not be responsible for a replacement lock/cable.
All bicycles used on campus are recommended to be registered and have a sticker affixed to the bicycle. This will help identify any bicycle lost or stolen from the campus grounds. You may register your bike and get your sticker at no charge online or by visiting the Parking Office in Wooster Hall, Office of Student Accounts, Rm 114. You will need to provide the make, color and serial number from your bike. Affix the sticker to the crossbar area of the bike near the handlebars.
Online link to register: https://parking.admin.newpaltz.edu
The following are tips that all bicyclists should abide by while riding on campus to ensure the safety of the riders and pedestrians.
- Ride on the right side of the street (or sidewalk). Go with traffic, not against.
- When riding at night a white light in front and a red light or reflector is required by state law.
- Obey all traffic signals, signs and roadway devices.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Be aware of cars and other vehicles.
- Slow down and prepare to stop at all crosswalks.
- Use hand signals to indicate turns, lane changes and stopping.
- Use the bike racks located at every residence hall and at various locations around campus. Do not lock or place bicycles against lamp post or railings. Bike found to be in violation of this policy will be removed and secured to the closest bike rack with a new temporary lock. Contact Facilities Operations at 257-3301 to assist with retrieving your bicycle, you must have proper identification to reclaim your bicycle.
If at any time you discover your bicycle missing and it was not relocated by Facilities Operations, file an incident report with University Police. All bicycles not claimed within 60 days will become property of the College. If you have any questions, please contact the Facilities Operations office at x3301 or 845.257.3301 from an off campus phone.