New Paltz Logo
Information for Newly Admitted Exchange Students

I’ve just been accepted to the program, what do I do next?

After you receive our Acceptance email, we will send your school your official acceptance letter and form DS-2019 for your J-1 visa application.

Everything is clearly explained in your online application materials, and you will be given contact information if you have any questions.  Please refer to the information in your online application portal for specific details and instructions.

When can I arrive?

Exchange students can enter the US no more than 30 days before the program start date as shown on your Form DS-2019. However, you cannot move into the residence halls before the international student orientation program. We do send a bus to JFK airport in New York City for new international students, so please check your online application portal for details on how to register for this service.

Can I stay in the US after my program has ended?

Yes. You will need to move out of the residence halls at the end of the semester, but you are allowed to stay in the US for an additional 30 days after your exchange program ends. You can check the academic calendar for specific dates.

What happens while I’m studying at SUNY New Paltz?

Exchange students are full members of the New Paltz student community and have access to all aspects of student life, whether you live on or off-campus. You can find out  more about campus resources and activities on the SUNY New Paltz website. Here are some specific links for your reference:

Student Activities

Health Insurance

Fitness and Recreation

Residence Life

Health Center

Counseling Center


Latest News