New Paltz Logo
Transferring to SUNY New Paltz

Transferring to SUNY New Paltz from a School in the United States

If you are currently studying at a school in the United States as an F-1 student, you will need to transfer to SUNY New Paltz after you have been admitted. Transfer has two parts: academic and immigration

Academic Transfer

Once you have been admitted to SUNY New Paltz, the Admissions Office will evaluate your transcript and determine which classes can be transferred to SUNY New Paltz.

Immigration Transfer

In order to issue a new I-20 for your program at SUNY New Paltz, your current school needs to transfer your SEVIS record to SUNY New Paltz and we need to receive the completed transfer in form. Please follow the directions on the form and contact us at with any questions. Your SEVIS record can be transferred to SUNY New Paltz in good standing if you are in status at your current school and your record is transferred no more than 60 days after you complete your program or the last semester at your current school.  If you are not in good standing or if it is more than 60 days after completion of your program or final semester, you could be considered out of status. In that case, please talk to your current International Student Advisor and an International Student Advisor at SUNY New Paltz about your options.

If you have any questions about the transfer process, please contact us at

Latest News