See how New Paltz is adapting to Covid-19 by keeping our community safe, informed, connected and engaged.

Transferring Your Credits

SUNY New Paltz will accept a maximum of 70 credits from an accredited two-year college and a maximum of 90 credits from an accredited four-year college or university. All courses with a grade of “C-“ or better are eligible for transfer; however each academic department reserves the right to determine the transferability of coursework that relates to a student’s major.

A maximum of 15 non-liberal arts credits may be awarded for course work taken within government agencies, industry, the armed services or other non-collegiate settings.  A request for a review of such course work, supported by appropriate documentation, or for the military JST, should be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

SUNY New Paltz does not award life-experience credit.

Students who are transferring from a SUNY or CUNY two or four-year school that have satisfied a general education requirement at their previous school will have that general education met at New Paltz. Students looking to complete general education requirements at another SUNY college may search to choose appropriate courses.  

A preliminary evaluation of all credits will be emailed to all accepted transfer applicants. To ensure receipt of a credit evaluation please make sure the email address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid emails from being sent to spam folders.

Along with the SUNY mobility website, students can explore course equivalencies from over 1,000 two and four-year colleges throughout the world on the New Paltz Transfer Credit Equivalency website.

In addition, SUNY New Paltz also accepts Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and College Level Examination Program credits. Please visit the New Paltz Transfer Credit Equivalency website for additional information. Credit cannot be granted based on notations on your current college transcript.

Request Info