Already applied? Click here to enter your status portal!
A SECOND DEGREE applicant is a student who has already earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
SECOND DEGREE APPLICATION INFORMATION
- The intended major of the second degree must require at least 15 credits that were not contained in the major of the first degree.
- Second Degree candidates are considered to have met the General Education Program and the Writing Intensive requirement.
- Second Degree candidates must complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence at SUNY New Paltz.
SECOND DEGREE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
The following information is required to complete the application process:
- Completion of the SUNY Application or Common Application
- 2.75 cumulative GPA from all colleges previously attended
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Official high school or TASC (GED) transcript*
- Written statement or resume detailing, if applicable, why your education was interrupted and what you have been doing since leaving college.
- Official AP, IB or CLEP test score reports/transcripts, if applicable
*Required by New York State Department of Education
SECOND DEGREE ADMISSION TO SPECIFIC MAJORS
- Art – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful portfolio review*
- Visual Arts Education – A minimum of a 3.0 and a successful portfolio review*
- Music – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful music audition/interview
- Theatre Arts – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and a successful theatre audition/interview*
*Contact the specific department for portfolio submission, audition, or interview information.
- Adolescence Education – A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
- Adolescence Education - Mathematics - the above, plus "B-" or better in either Calculus I or Calculus II.
- Biology - A minimum GPA of 2.75 and must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus.
- Business (all programs) - A minimum GPA of 2.75; with 45+ completed credits, applicants must have completed English Composition I and II, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics with a "C-" or better and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
- Communication Disorders – A minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Early Childhood/Childhood Education – A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II.
- Early Childhood/Childhood Education - Biology Concentration - A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II, and must have completed General Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Pre-Calculus.
- Early Childhood/Childhood Education - Mathematics Concentration - A minimum GPA of 3.0 and a “B” or better in English Composition I and II, and a "B-" or better in either Calculus I or Introduction to Proof.
- Mathematics – A minimum GPA of 2.75 and grade of "B-" or better in Calculus I or a grade of "B-" or better in Calculus II.
- Psychology – A minimum GPA of 2.75, a “C” or better in General Psychology and completion of a SUNY General Education mathematics course.
- All majors within the School of Science & Engineering require the completion of Pre-Calculus.
SECOND DEGREE APPLICATION DUE DATES
Fall Enrollment - July 1
Spring Enrollment - December 1
(including Art/Art Education portfolio requirement)
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.
TRANSCRIPT SUBMISSION AND CONTACT INFORMATION
Office of Undergraduate Admission
SUNY New Paltz
100 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2499
(845) 257-3209 (fax)
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
New Paltz admission uses email as its official method of communication. In order to assure that you receive all communications related to your application please make sure your email address that you provided on your application is correct. Please add SUNY New Paltz to your address book to avoid emails from newpaltz.edu being sent to spam folders.