Why do I have to complete an Entrance interview?
The Student Loan Counseling office provides the entrance interview or counseling session (required by federal law) when you first take out a loan at SUNY New Paltz. The entrance interview is designed to inform you of your rights and responsibilities involved in borrowing your student loans, and prevent you from defaulting on your student loan.
When you receive a Direct Loan, you are required to complete an entrance interview as a first time borrower at this college. Even though you may have completed an entrance interview at another school, you must do another if this is your first loan at SUNY New Paltz.
Completion of your entrance interview is a federal requirement and is crucial to your receipt of your Direct Loan. Completion of the entrance interview is required before you receive your student loan.
How do I receive my Direct Student Loan?
- The Financial Aid Office determines your award package, based on the information you provided on your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- To accept and/or decline your various forms of financial aid, please visit my.newpaltz.edu and complete your Award Letter online.
- You must complete an Entrance Interview at the Federal site.
- If you are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN), you may do this online on the Federal site.
- Your loan money will arrive at Student Accounts a few weeks after the the beginning of the semester. Funds are applied to your account. Any extra loan money will be refunded to you. If you live on campus, Student Accounts will email you to pick up your check. If you live off campus, your check will be mailed to you. You may also signup for direct deposit on your my.newpaltz account.
Why do I have to complete an Exit interview?
If you will graduate, drop to less than six credits, transfer to another school, withdraw from school, take a semester off, or take a leave of absence, you are required by federal law to complete a Stafford loan exit interview. You can complete your exit interview online.
If you have questions, please contact our office by telephone at (845) 257-3198, or by
e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.