Program Coordinator: Beth Clark-Gareca
In response to the regional need for professionals prepared to educate students of limited English proficiency, SUNY New Paltz offers a Master of Science in Education in Second Language Education. This thirty-six credit program leads to certification (initial and professional) in English to Speakers of Other Languages (Pre K-12).
The program includes core courses (twelve credits), specialized courses (fifteen credits), and additional courses in professional education (nine credits).
- One official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate course work; the baccalaureate transcript should be from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average in the major, and a 3.0 cumulative GPA overall.
- Three letters of recommendation
- All students who apply to an education graduate program will be required to complete the GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
- For international students, a minimum score of 575 on the TOEFL or 90 on the internet-based TOEFL.
- Demonstration of experience and/or interest in working with culturally and linguistically diverse students.
Admission Requirements - TESOL
Satisfactory completion of twelve semester hours of study in a language and culture other than English. All courses must be conducted in the target language.