Edit Page

Undergraduate Catalog

Policies: Incomplete Grades

Academic Policies and Procedures » Incomplete Grades

A grade of Incomplete ("I") is awarded at the discretion of the instructor and only when the student:

  • has successfully completed at least three-quarters of the required work for a course;
  • is prevented from completing the remaining work due to a personal emergency;
  • formally requests an Incomplete (“I”) by following the procedure outlined in this policy.

Keep in mind: Having obligations to make up a grade of Incomplete while carrying a full load of new courses can be almost like carrying an extra course. There are good and legitimate reasons for students to ask for and for faculty members to grant Incomplete grades, but the requests should be considered carefully by all involved. Students should not register again for the same course.

Before requesting a grade of Incomplete, students should discuss with the instructor exactly what work remains to be completed. An agreement in writing will protect the student, should the course instructor be unavailable when the incomplete work is due.

The maximum time allowed for completing the required course work is the mid-point of the following semester, though the faculty member may require completion prior to that point. (Refer to the Academic Calendar for the semester’s mid-point date.)

To confirm the student’s completion of the assigned work and replace the “I” grade, the instructor must submit a Grade Change Form. Otherwise, the student's grade will automatically change to an "F" if the student is registered for that semester.

Extension request: The instructor may, at the student's request, extend the completion deadline up to one additional semester by submitting an updated Grade Change Form. Records & Registration must receive the updated webform before the mid-point of the semester in which the incomplete work was originally due.

  • The instructor may select a new deadline no later than the mid-point of the next semester.
  • If the instructor does not specify a new deadline, an automatic extension to the end of the current semester will result (e.g., work originally due at the fall mid-point will be due at the end of the fall semester). In this situation, a second and final extension to the mid-point of the next semester is possible, by student request and with instructor submission of an updated Grade Change webform.

No extensions beyond the mid-point of the next semester will be granted. Failure to complete the work by that deadline will result in the student's grade automatically changing to an "F" if the student is registered for courses that semester.

Students who do not register for two consecutive semesters after the semester or summer session in which the Incomplete was granted will have the Incomplete converted into a permanent Incomplete during the mid-point of the second semester if the course is not completed or the instructor does not change the grade by that date. A permanent Incomplete can never be changed, but students may graduate with such a grade on their record.


Procedure for Requesting an Incomplete Grade

  1. After the student and instructor agree that an Incomplete grade will be granted, the student submits the Request Incomplete Grade. The student logs on to my.newpaltz.edu > Registration > Request Incomplete Grade
  2. The Request for Incomplete Grade will be emailed to the faculty. The faculty will have the option to approve or decline the Incomplete grade.

Note to student and faculty: The student must submit the request and the faculty must approve this request before the option of the “I” grade will be available on the grading roster.

Note to faculty: Approving the student request DOES NOT enter the “I” grade.  This grade must be entered on the grading roster.

  1. Faculty will use the Grade Change Form to enter the grade once the course work is completed by the deadline. The faculty logs on to my.newpaltz.edu > Faculty Services > Teaching Menu > Grade Change Request Form
  2. To request an extension, faculty will use the Grade Change Form to request the change to the deadline. The faculty logs on to my.newpaltz.edu > Faculty Services > Teaching Menu > Grade Change Request Form

Reflects policy changes effective 11/1/06; process updated 7/17/18 and 1/31/19.