Records & Registration


Class Standing or Level


New Paltz has utilized a semester hour credit system, except between June 1963 and July 1968, when the quarter hour credit system was used. (One quarter hour equals two-thirds of one semester hour.) Beginning in September 1977, the College's grading system has provided for the assignment of plus and minus grades. Currently, grade computations are based upon the following format:

A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
F* 2 0.00
3 0.00
I 0.00
S, S*, S# or P , satisfactory 4 0.00
U,U* or U#, unsatisfactory 4 0.00
H, hold 5 0.00
R, repeat 0.00

NG or blank
No grade reported by instructor at time of grade recording or Student Account Hold

P* (place holder for Study Abroad coursework while awaiting official grades)

P pass grade for spring 2020 special circumstance4

  1. Before the spring 1983 semester, graduate students could not receive a D grade.
  2. F* is awarded when the student unofficially withdraws from the class.  A date of last participation is recorded.
  3. W is an indicator assigned when a student withdraws from the College, drops a course during the course withdrawal period or confirms enrollment but never attends, as reported during enrollment census. For information and completeness, the W is placed on the permanent academic record. The W is non-punitive and is not used in any computation of quality point or cumulative average totals. 
  4. S is a "satisfactory" grade given by the instructor.  S*, S# and U*, U# are student- elected grades. S*, S# indicate a C- or better; U*, U# a D+ or poorer. In spring 2020 only, P is a student elected pass grade for courses graded with D or higher for special circumstances. (Before Fall 1986, P and U are student-elected grades indicating that the student received a D- or better; U indicates a failing grade.)
  5. An H mark is temporary and assigned in limited situations where it is appropriate to “HOLD” pending a grade to be awarded.  H is not a grade and a student cannot graduate with an H on the transcript*.  The H mark is used for course work that is not completed within the semester term and where an incomplete grade (“I”) is not appropriate. Courses for which an H is appropriate include internships/fieldwork and thesis preparation.  The H mark can also be assigned pending completion of the next course in an appropriate sequence.


Grade Reporting

Grade reports are accessed through . Grade reports are not mailed but can be printed through