** You must fill out an application in order to be considered for the Honors Program.**
**There is no set deadline to submit applications for admission to the Honors Program. The Honors Admissions Committee meets regularly to review applications.**
The Honors Program accepts applications from prospective high school students, transfer students, and SUNY New Paltz students up to the beginning of their junior year.
Choose one of the links below to fill out the appropriate application.
*High School Students & First Semester Freshman Application (The cut off for 1st semester freshman to submit their application using high school material is mid-September.)
*Current New Paltz Students Application
*Transfer Students Application
The Honors Program admission review process is holistic. In addition to SAT scores and GPA, the Honors Program values the following attributes, and they are considered during the admission process:
- Intellectual curiosity
- Commitment to thinking deeply and broadly about a range of ideas
- Communication skills
- Interdisciplinary orientation
The Honors Program is committed to diversity in admissions (broadly defined to include, minimally, race/ethnicity, family income, gender, life experience, and major).
Fall 2017 Incoming Honors Students Range of Scores
|GPA Score Range||SAT Score Range||ACT Score Range||High School Average Score Range|
Application guidelines for incoming freshmen:
- SAT score if taken before March 2016: 1280 or higher (critical reading and math)
- SAT score if taken on or after March 2016: 1340 (ERW and math)
- ACT composite score: 28 or higher
- High school average: 95 or higher
- Cover letter
- Two substantial analytic writing samples. One needs to be research based with a works cited page.
- Two letters of recommendation
- High school transcript
Application guidelines for transfers and currently enrolled students:
- An overall college GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Cover letter
- Two samples of substantial analytic writing from the past year. One needs to be research based with a works cited page. Currently enrolled students should include writing samples from courses at SUNY New Paltz.
- Recommendations from two college professors
- College transcript
Guidelines for the cover letter:
Prospective students have an opportunity through the letter of application to explain why they are interested in the Honors Program and why they are a good fit for it. The letter of application should address the following:
- Why do you want to join the program?
- What would you bring to the program?
- What are your goals, both as a student and beyond?
- Please share examples to illustrate your commitment to values such as creativity, intellectual curiosity, commitment to thinking deeply and broadly about a range of ideas, communication skills, interdisciplinary orientation, or other characteristics that would allow you to not only benefit from, but contribute to, the Honors Program at New Paltz.
There are three basic requirements for graduating with honors:
Number of Honors seminars required based on when students enter the program:
|Class Entered In||Number of Seminars|
|1st Semester Sophomore||4 Seminars|
|2nd Semester Sophomore||3 Seminars|