If an eligible Service member decides to use TA, SUNY New Paltz will enroll him or her only after the TA is approved by the individual’s Service. Service members will be solely responsible for all tuition costs without this prior approval. This requirement does not prohibit SUNY New Paltz from pre-registering a Service member in a course in order to secure a slot in the course. If SUNY New Paltz enrolls the Service member before the appropriate Service approves Military TA, then the Service member could be responsible for the tuition. All Military TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the course. The Military TA is approved on a course-by-course basis and only for the specific course(s) and class dates that a Service member requests. If a military student “self-identifies” their eligibility and the Service has not approved the funding, then the Service member will be solely responsible for all tuition costs, not the Service.
TA Eligible Courses. Courses will be considered eligible for TA if they are:
- Part of an individual’s evaluated educational plan; or
- Prerequisites for courses within the individual’s evaluated educational plan; or
- Required for acceptance into a higher-level degree program, unless otherwise specified by Service regulations.
SUNY New Paltz Military Tuition Assistance (TA) processing procedure:
- Eligible Service members must be a SUNY New Paltz student, and may have to be matriculated. Service members are encouraged to check with their Branch for specifics
- Once accepted as a SUNY New Paltz student (either as Matriculated or Non-Matriculated), the Service member must upload his or her degree program into their perspective Service Branches TA system for approval
- Registering for course(s): To reserve a seat in a course, Service members must log into their banner account and register for their course(s)
- Once the Service member has selected their TA Eligible Course(s), the Service member must log into their perspective Branch of Services TA system and upload their course(s) for Service approval
- Please note: Each Service Branch may have different deadlines to request TA approval. Service members are encouraged to check with their perspective branch of service for such deadlines
- If degree program and course(s) are approved, the Service member and/or Service Branch will send the SUNY New Paltz Tuition Assistance Point of Contact either a TA voucher or roster of approved students
- If approved, the SUNY New Paltz TA Point of Contact will then bill the appropriate Service
- If not approved, the Service member will be notified by their Service’s TA system and subsequently become responsible for the charges.
- Note 1: The SUNY New Paltz’s TA Point of Contact does not get notified of disapproved students. Therefore, it becomes the responsibility of the Service member to notify the College TA Point of Contact of his or her disapproval
- Options for disapproved students:
- Contact your Service branch’s Tuition Assistance program manager for further options as it may be something as simple as changing your courses
- Contact SUNY New Paltz’s Office of Veteran and Military Services for other potential financial aid options
- Note 2: All students have up until the last day of the add/drop period to withdrawal from any or all courses with no financial liability
- The Office of Veteran and Military Services will review the registrations of all Service members utilizing Military Tuition Assistance, and send out email reminders to Service members ensuring they are completing their approval process beginning 30 days prior to the Service members TA approval deadline date.
- The Military TA is approved on a course-by-course basis and only for the specific course(s) and class dates that a Service member requests. If a military student “self-identifies” their eligibility and the Service has not approved the funding, then the Service member will be solely responsible for all tuition costs, not the Service.
Please feel free to contact the Office of Veteran and Military Services with any questions regarding the Military Tuition Assistance (TA) process.