New Major and Minor plans are currently listed.
MAJOR in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, 40 credits
The Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program at SUNY New Paltz offers a Bachelor of Arts degree.
All majors take 5 required core courses for a total of 19 credits. These courses are:
- Introduction to Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies (WOM220) (4 credits)
- Feminist Theory (WOM421) (4 credits)
- Feminist Methods (WOM 321) (4 credits)
- Practicum in WGSS (WOM 420) (3 credits)
- Senior Seminar in WGSS (WOM 490) (4 credits)
In additon, majors will take one (1) course from each of four Clusters for a total of 12 Cluster credits. Clusters are as follows:
1) Historical and Political Contexts
2) Culture and Representation
3) Race, Culture, Nation
4) Gender, Sexuality, and Queer Studies
The remaining 9 credits will be accrued through three (3) electives in WGS and/or cross-listed courses, to be designed in consultation with their advisors, thus making the major more flexible.
Requirements for single and double majors are the same.
MINOR in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, 20 credits
Students wishing to minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies take two (2) core courses, Introduction to Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies (WOM220) and Feminist Theory (WOM421) for a total of 8 credits, and select a course in two of the four clusters (6 credits) and complete the minor with two elective WOM or cross-listed courses (6 credits).
Students should consult the schedule of classes for new courses, and department listings in the Undergraduate Catalog for course descriptions.
Course descriptions can also be accessed in the schedule of classes by clicking the CRN.