Center for Student Engagement

About Club Recognition


Any student club, society, chapter, or other group seeking to operate at SUNY New Paltz must be recognized by a student governing body and/or the college.  There are multiple ways in which groups can seek recognition.  Once a group is recognized, they earn the rights and privileges to reserve space, host campus events, recruit fellow students, advertise, access funding resources, etc.  Most groups will obtain recognition from one of our three student governments: Student Association, United Sorority and Fraternity Association, or the Residence Hall Student Association.

Groups seeking recognition from one of the three governments must adhere to the recognition process outlined by the respective governing body.

Student Association

This government oversees clubs and organizations that are open to all New Paltz students; they include Club Sports, Social/Hobby/Cultural clubs, Student-led Performing Arts clubs, Student Media groups, Student-led academic clubs, and Advocacy/Political clubs.

Groups seeking recognition through the Student Association should proceed to Engage.

United Sorority and Fraternity Association

This government oversees all social and cultural Fraternities and Sororities; individual chapters are dually-recognized by the United Sorority and Fraternity Association and the .

Residence Hall Student Association

This government oversees all residence hall governments and the National Residence Hall Honorary.

Recognition by the Center for Student Engagement

Groups that are not eligible for recognition via one of the three student governing bodies should obtain college recognition through the Center for Student Engagement.  These clubs include Honor Societies, Academic and Service-Based Fraternities, and Groups Funded by External Agencies.