Department of Teaching & Learning
The Department of Teaching & Learning continues SUNY New Paltz’s storied tradition of preparing future educators to work with diverse learners of all ages and levels of ability. Through partnerships with disciplinary faculty in the sciences, arts and humanities, as well as with local school districts, the Department’s courses and programs provide a rich mixture of pedagogical theory, subject competency and practical experiences, with an emphasis on real-life classroom application.
The Department includes:
- Early Childhood & Childhood Education Programs, preparing candidates to work with young learners from the nursery through the sixth grade;
- Adolescence Education Programs, offering instruction leading to New York State certification to teach numerous subjects to students in grades 7-12;
- Literacy Education Programs, with a mission of providing clinical opportunities in the diagnosis and remediation of reading and writing difficulties for children in our local communities;
- The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Program, where candidates can develop skills to work with non-native English speakers; and
- The Special Education Program, founded on the belief that learners of all levels of ability can develop their intellectual, social, emotional and physical strengths with the help of teachers who are knowledgeable and passionate advocates for their growth.