New endowed scholarships
Thanks to a generous $237,000 contribution from McKenna Productions, six endowed scholarship funds have been established in honor of six extraordinary and beloved theatre professors at SUNY New Paltz:
- The Professor Raymond T. Kurdt Endowed Student Travel Scholarship Fund will support theatre student attendance at design and technology conferences such as the United States Institute of Theatre Technology (USITT) annual national conference, or other theatre conferences that focus on design and technology. This Fund will help to defray some of the student cost (registration, travel, room and board) of attendance and is named in honor of alumnus Raymond T. Kurdt ’56 (Art Education).
- The Professor Frank Kraat Endowed Student Travel Scholarship Fund will support annual non-renewable scholarships to theatre students attending the London Theatre Seminar, an annual three-credit course, established by Professor Emeritus Frank Kraat. This scholarship will help to defray some of the student cost (tuition, travel, room and board) of attendance.
- The Joseph C. Paparone Endowed Student Travel Scholarship Fund was established to support theatre student attendance at performance festivals such as The Humana Festival in Louisville, Kentucky, the KCACTF (Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival), or other theatre festivals that focus on performance.
- The Dr. Beverly M. Brumm Endowed Scholarship Fund will support an annual non-renewable scholarship to a SUNY New Paltz Theatre Arts major with a concentration in Theatre Performance entering his or her senior year.
- The Professor Dan E. Swartz Endowed Scholarship Fund will support an annual non-renewable scholarship to two SUNY New Paltz Theatre Arts majors with a concentration in Theatre Design and Technology entering their senior year.
“These gifts, which are a direct result of continued community support and past ticket sales, will be a valuable asset to students and their future endeavors...These funds help recognize the many hardworking students and their admirable devotion to theatre arts.” Read more...
-Joseph C. Paparone, professor emeritus & 43-year veteran of the SUNY New Paltz Department of Theatre Arts
A number of scholarships are available to be awarded specifically to outstanding theatre students:
Arthur Bruce Bennett Drama Scholarship Endowment
Established in 1992 by in memory of Arthur Bruce Bennett, former chair of the English Department and advisor to the drama society. The applicant must have a minimum of 2.5 GPA cumulative average in their major, be a sophomore or junior in good standing, and have made a distinguished contribution to the field of drama.
Edwin A. Ulrich Theatre Scholarship
Established in 1998 in memory of Dr. Edwin A. Ulrich for junior or senior students with a declared major in Theatre Arts. To be considered for this award, applicants must:
- Submit at least one written recommendation from a faculty member who has knowledge of the student's work and potential ability for success in the field of Theatre Arts
- Be a fully matriculated student at SUNY New Paltz with a 12-credit minimum course load each semester.
- Attained the class standing of junior or senior with a declared major in Theatre Arts and achieved a cumulative GPA or 2.5 or higher
- Be a resident of the Mid-Hudson Valley
- Provide an annual report relating his or her collegiate experience
Joe and Jean Badalucco Outstanding Achievement Theatre Scholarship Endowment
Established to honor Joe and Jean Badalucco, the parents of Michael Badalucco ’76, a graduate from the Department of Theatre Arts. His father, Joe, was a Sicilian born cabinetmaker who came to America and made a career as a carpenter. A member of Local Union 52 IATSE in New York City, he worked on many TV commercials and movies, which include Manhattan, Interiors, and Annie Hall. This award is to be made to an outstanding full-time matriculated student of junior standing who has exhibited a dedicated work ethic and active involvement in the Theatre Arts Department.
Additional financial awards are available through the College.