Become a Sustainability Ambassador in Fall 2019!
Three teams are looking to expand: Social Media/Communications Team, Carbon Neutrality Research Team, and the Sustainability Program Implementation Team!
The Office of Campus Sustainability is looking to build the team of student Sustainability Ambassadors. Although these new positions are unpaid, it has the potential to lead to paid leadership positions in the fall of 2020. Sustainability Ambassadors are passionate about environmental sustainability as well as all the Global Goals for Sustainable Development. We’re looking for students who have excellent verbal communications skills and can easily and naturally connect with fellow students. Additionally, we are looking for students who have a passion for:
- Social media, and have skills in the areas of social media, photo-editing, video-editing, and more
- Creating a carbon-neutral campus
- Creating systemic institutional change for zero waste: composting in res halls & launching a beyond plastics initiative
Volunteer Positions available:
- Social Media/Communications team – meets every Wednesday during the semester at 1 PM
- Carbon Neutrality Research Team – meets every Friday during the semester at 9:30 AM
- Sustainability Program Implementation Team (focusing on zero waste, composting and creating a plastic-free campus) - meets Tuesdays at 12:30 and Fridays from 12 to 1pm
Note: Team meetings will be scheduled during the Spring of 2020 at a time that all team members are available.
Responsibilities through the semester
- Training/Orientation – An initial two-hour training session in order to put you up to date with our current plans, and to introduce you to the applications we use
- Weekly Meetings – Every week, Sustainability Ambassadors will meet to discuss and carry out weekly/long term plans
- Work outside of meetings – Sustainability ambassadors are expected to work 2 hours per week to follow through with responsibilities taken on during the weekly meeting
- Peer-to-peer engagement - (optional) Sustainability Ambassadors may also educate fellow students about sustainability through tabling, etc.
- Have a passion for sustainability
- Have excellent verbal communication skills, are enthusiastic, and are able to motivate and inspire other students
- Have skills that directly relate to the job responsibilities described above
- A self-starter
- Able to work effectively in teams
- Experience with making things happen at SUNY New Paltz (ie. logistics)
- Self-motivated and able to work independently (there is no office space for students)
- Have experience with sustainability on campus, whether through student organizations, living-learning communities, or academic programs (not required, but encouraged)
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Email your answers to these questions listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sustainability Ambassador Application - Social Media” or “Sustainability Ambassador Application - Carbon Neutrality Research" in the subject line.
Email Campus Sustainability Coordinator Lisa Mitten at email@example.com with any questions.
Sustainability Ambassador Application
Minor (if applicable):
Year (freshman, sophomore):
Expected Graduation Date:
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- Why would you like to become a Sustainability Ambassador?
- What personal experiences do you have with sustainability issues (ie. inside or outside of the classroom)? Do you have any special roles/jobs on campus (ie. RA, student org leader, SA rep, etc.)?
- Which team are you specifically interested in joining? (Social Media or Carbon Neutrality Research) What personal experiences can help you succeed in this position? What sparked your interest in the respected area? How can you be an asset to either team?
- For the Social Media Team only: Describe your experience with social media and communications.
- For the Carbon Neutrality Research team only: Describe your experience doing research. How do you go about doing research?
- For the Sustainability Program Implementation team only: Describe your experience working as a team to create institutional change.
- Would you be interested in engaging your peers about sustainability via tabling and other outlets? Would you be willing to commit 1-2 hours per week to peer-to-peer engagement? (Note: this is optional)
- Availability at weekly meetings and additional responsibilities
- Social Media team: Are you available on Wednesdays from 1pm-2pm?
- Carbon Neutrality Research team: Are you available on Fridays from 9:30 to 10:30?
- Sustainability Program Implementation team: Are you available on Tuesdays from 12:30 to 1:30 and Fridays from 12:00 to 1:00?
- Are you available to devote 1-2 hours per week outside of our meetings to implement projects/conduct research?